Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: USB1 speed on USB2??

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67

    USB1 speed on USB2??

    I'm using Knoppix 3.4 and booting with knoppix26.
    I have a USB2 CF card reader in a USB2 PCI port and can mount a CF card in the reader with no problem. But when I read lots of images from the card I only get USB1 transfer rates of about 700kB/sec. When I use the same reader in Windows I get around 2MB/sec. I'm new at this and am not sure what, if anything, can be done to get USB2 transfer rates from the reader.

    This is what I get from dmesg | grep usb:
    usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
    usbcore: registered new driver hub
    usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
    usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 3
    usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
    usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
    usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
    drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x043D pid 0x0014
    usbcore: registered new driver usblp
    drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
    usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: ctrl urb status -32 received
    input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [BTC USB Cordless Mouse] on usb-0000:00:04.2-2
    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: ctrl urb status -32 received
    hiddev96: USB HID v1.00 Device [BTC USB Cordless Mouse] on usb-0000:00:04.2-2
    usbcore: registered new driver hid
    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver


    and this is the relevant entry in /proc/bus/usb/devices:

    T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=05e3 ProdID=0760 Rev= 1.13
    S: Product=Flash Reader
    S: SerialNumber=00220
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

    and this is the line for the USB reader in /etc/fstab:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

    I changed the /mnt/sda1 to /mnt/sda to suit a program I wrote.

    Is there something I can do to soup up the transfer rates?
    And can I set up the entry in /etc/fstab so that when I put a card in the reader it is auto mounted?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    Looks like I've found the answer. I somehow missed a previous post about this issue but have now read it and tried out the suggestion:

    su-to-root and:
    'modprobe ehci-hcd'

    Having done the modprobe, /etc/fstab now contains an entry for /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sda1 and the reader now transfers at 2.81MB/sec - 40% faster than window's best speed

    Excellent!

    Pete

Similar Threads

  1. Not seeing a new USB2.0 250Gb external
    By cruman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 02:42 AM
  2. USB2.0 to slow
    By Hellboy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 08:39 AM
  3. USB2 driver only in 2.4 kernel?
    By ewangr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:11 PM
  4. USB2 PCMCIA Card
    By chrisjrn in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 03:27 AM
  5. CD/DVD Drive Reading Speed vs. CPU Speed
    By migasf in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00