-
Foriegn Language Menus
Hi,
I've recently installed xcdroast using apt-get which, when it ran, surplanted question marks on the menus. IE. if it had a menu that said 'File', '????' would be displayed. Likewise all dialog boxes were similarly aflicted. So if a dialog box says "Click here to erase your hard drive", it would show "???? ???? ?? ????? ???? ???? ????".
Previously I had installed gnome meeting (also from apt-get), which had a similar problem but which used a Cyrillic script for it's menus. I have never managed to get gnome meeting to work previously, so this set back was not too much of a problem: even if I had known which menu option to use, the likelyhood was that the software would remain blind and deaf from past experience. As much use as a chocolate welding torch.
Also, on one of my machines, Midnight Commander in the console has the menu options in question marks much as with xcdroast described above. "1Help 2Menu 3View 4Edit 5Copy..." are "1???? 2???? 3???? 4???? 5????..."
All of this makes learning to use Linux challenging to say the least. A bit like learning to dance blindfold.
So my question is this: Which configuration files hold the Locale information?
Are there scripts to run which configure these?
Incidently this is NOT the login console problem, that is in english as it should be.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
If it wasn't for your mc/console problem, I'd have suspected an Xfont or gnome config problem.
What do you see when typing the following:
1) echo $LANG
2) cat /etc/environment
-
Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear that these problems are on two different machines.
At work at the mo' (bloody windows!)
But from memory echo $LANG returns en_GB or some such. ie. not unexpected. Can't remember if I've looked at that on both.
I haven't looked at /etc/environment, will check this too.
Many thanks.
-
This is driving me around the bend.
echo $LANG and cat /etc/environment both return en_GB.
localle-gen sorted it for a while, but the bloody question marks are back.
Is there any way I can eradicate all othe locales?
Similar Threads
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:46 AM
-
By tommydl in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
-
By daviskacer in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 05:08 PM
-
By Jack_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:37 PM
-
By montagne57 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.27

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$259.02

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99