Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Viewing and reading Windows NTFS Drives?

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Shortcuts, or links, is the answer, and then placing them in the right location for the user. I am assuming that the applications are for a user, and not the system, if the system ( OS ) needs to run them - that is a different story... But, when a user logs in, specific settings are loaded for that user, like the way they like the desktop, clock, and even already running programs they had when they logged out... To get this user to activate a program when they login, you will want to create a "shortcut" in the home folder, under the folder named .kde/Autostart - open up a Konqueror window, ( the little house icon on the taskbar ), make sure you have under "View" Show Hidden Files, click on .kde folder, then click on Autostart, in this folder, right-click on the right pane, and select Create new, and then select Link to application... -=- this should allow you to enter, or browse for the application you want to create the autostart program for... ( Note: this assumption, and above example, assumes that you want to "autostart" a program for the user you are logged into at this time. )
    I tried doing the shortcut, but I do not know what to input to the fields.

    "Command, Panel Embedding, Run in Terminal"

    The program I want to start right after login is aMSN messenger. I execute it by gonig into "Run command" > aMSN or by konsole and typing aMSN. I am not sure what to do.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    zebv
    Posts
    4
    hey guys...I'm a newbie in knoppix linux..I liked it so much...i have a question by the way...

    can i make a application software run on my knoppix OS but the thing is, the application is installed in my windows file system or windows??can i?
    can you teach me guys...
    i tried to click the .exe file then opened it with WINE...but it wont work...is there any way that i get it to work???please...

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Shortcuts, or links, is the answer, and then placing them in the right location for the user. I am assuming that the applications are for a user, and not the system, if the system ( OS ) needs to run them - that is a different story... But, when a user logs in, specific settings are loaded for that user, like the way they like the desktop, clock, and even already running programs they had when they logged out... To get this user to activate a program when they login, you will want to create a "shortcut" in the home folder, under the folder named .kde/Autostart - open up a Konqueror window, ( the little house icon on the taskbar ), make sure you have under "View" Show Hidden Files, click on .kde folder, then click on Autostart, in this folder, right-click on the right pane, and select Create new, and then select Link to application... -=- this should allow you to enter, or browse for the application you want to create the autostart program for... ( Note: this assumption, and above example, assumes that you want to "autostart" a program for the user you are logged into at this time. )
    I tried doing the shortcut, but I do not know what to input to the fields.

    "Command, Panel Embedding, Run in Terminal"

    The program I want to start right after login is aMSN messenger. I execute it by gonig into "Run command" > aMSN or by konsole and typing aMSN. I am not sure what to do.
    Chris,

    you got the right idea, you are just going to need to do a little research on where the program is at...

    Chances are, if you can run the program from a Run Command [prompt, you might just be able to create the "link to application" without having to enter the complete path for it.

    First, try to create a "link to application" on your desktop, in the command box you have got the execute tab, just enter what you enter in the "Run Command" - if it works, simply cut the desktop shortcut and paste it to the /home/"user"/.kde/Autostart/ location in a Konqueror window...

    If the above doesn't start your program, just by using the program name, you will want to search for the program on your hard drive install... Once you find the complete path and program name, simply enter that in the "execute tab -> command" box for the "link to application"

    I hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15

    NTFS Read-Write with INSERT 50 MB Live CD (Knoppix-based)

    Try the Knoppix-based Live CD (credit-card size 50 MB) with a full range of security, antivirus, recovery, NTFS read-write, plus all the stuff to repair and recover Linux journaling file systems as wall as MSDOS FAT12, FAT13, FAT32, and of course NTFS. Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/insert/ and read about it at http://www.insert.cd/ . Good antivirus scanning, very usable desktop, tiny sized credit-card CD, fast download and easy burn.

  5. #15

    Entering mounted NTFS in GUI-launched apps

    Hi folks,

    I had a Win XP crash and am loving Knoppix and how I can see all of my precious files in the root shell window after mounting the NTFS partition without a hitch. My problem, that I'm hoping some kind person can help with, is that I can't enter the mounted directory in applications launched from the GUI, which I want to do to get a good survey of my files, directory sizes, etc., and to get some CD-burning going on. Permissions show as having read access, but this seems to be something else. If I click on the partition from the desktop, for instance, I get "Cannot enter /mnt/win32" but if I check properties, permissions show read access for user, group, and others. If I open a picture with gimp or an mp3 with audacity from the shell prompt, I can subsequently navigate the files in the open dialog box, but if I launch the app from the GUI, I cannot enter it as if I don't have permission. Any ideas?

    Grateful in advance,
    Foobius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix LiveCD and reading all drives in RAID 0
    By sladetf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 09:05 PM
  2. reading ntfs from knoppix
    By enraged in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 05:27 AM
  3. trouble viewing data in NTFS drive
    By icarus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 01:46 PM
  4. problem reading ntfs
    By tyiooo in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 05:25 AM
  5. Problem reading NTFS partition
    By eliashan in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory picture

16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory

$79.99



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested picture

lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested

$1000.00



MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



Lot Of 50 16GB DDR4 2666V RAM DIMM Desktop Memory Samsung Ramaxel Tested Working picture

Lot Of 50 16GB DDR4 2666V RAM DIMM Desktop Memory Samsung Ramaxel Tested Working

$3199.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory picture

Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory

$669.00



16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Q PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Memory picture

16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Q PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Memory

$79.99