Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: save netsettings and desktopsymbols

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10

    save netsettings and desktopsymbols

    Hi all.

    OK. My english isn't so good, but I hope you understand it.

    I use Knoppix and installed it on HD.
    OK. It works fine.

    Now my first problem.
    I have a linux router (fli4l) and use it for going in the net. If I click on the nice pinguin and then on network/internet and on configurate networkcard it works.
    But if I restart this configurations are lost. Means I have to configurate it every system boot.
    How may I save this settings?

    Now the second problem.
    I right click on the desktop and chose "To slot align." (hope its the right english sentence for this) . OK now all symbols are ordered. If I reboot they are mixed. How may I save this?

    Thx. Hope you understood.
    Ronny

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by catscratch
    Now my first problem.
    I have a linux router (fli4l) and use it for going in the net. If I click on the nice pinguin and then on network/internet and on configurate networkcard it works.
    But if I restart this configurations are lost. Means I have to configurate it every system boot.
    How may I save this settings?
    Too many unknown variables here to give a good answer. My guess, without knowing more, based on past posts, is that Knoppix is trying to use DHCP but you want it to use a static IP address instead. See this thread -- and this one, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by catscratch
    Now the second problem.
    I right click on the desktop and chose "To slot align." (hope its the right english sentence for this) . OK now all symbols are ordered. If I reboot they are mixed. How may I save this?
    In other words, you right-click on the desktop, and choose "Icons" -> "Align to Grid," but when you restart, they're messed up.

    First, make sure there isn't a file named "sorticons.desktop" in your ~/.kde/Autostart directory (you'll have to choose "View hidden files" in Konqueror to see the ".kde" directory). If it's there, delete it.

    Second, start the KDE Control Center, click on "KDE Components," and click on "Session Manager." Click the radio button next to "Restore manually saved session," then click "Apply." You will then see a new K menu entry near the bottom named "Save Session." After you've positioned the icons to your satisfaction, click on "Save Session," and they should be restored the same way next time you start KDE.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thx 4 help. I'll test it.

    My I deactivate the DCHP? I want manually every time.

    There was an idea with a shell script, but I don't know how to write it. Sry, I'm a linux nub and a windows kiddy.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Assuming you did a Debian-style install (i.e. none of your rcX.d directories contain a symbolic link to /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig in them), you can disable DHCP by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file and commenting out (i.e. putting a # in front of) the line that reads "iface eth0 inet dhcp".

    If you did a Knoppix or Beginner-style install, which AFAIK both use /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, you'll have to read those earlier posts -- they tell you what to do. Those posts also tell you how to edit /etc/network/interfaces to use static IP addresses.

    But if I understand you correctly, and you're OK with running the "Network Card Configuration" script from the Knoppix menu (that "clicking on the nice penguin" you mentioned earlier) manually, then you really don't have to do anything...since it's not working anyway, right? (Plus I'm not 100% sure this is the issue you're having; I'm just guessing.)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10
    THX. The network works.

    Only the symbols are left.
    If I click on K symbol an "save session" it's ok. But after reboot, all desktop symbols are mixed agein.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Catscratch
    THX. The network works.
    Great. (Did I actually give you some useful advice? )

    Only the symbols are left.
    If I click on K symbol an "save session" it's ok. But after reboot, all desktop symbols are mixed agein.
    Another thing to try: In the KDE Control Center, go to "Desktop," then "Behavior," then the "File Icons" tab, and enable "Automatically line up icons." See if that does what you want.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10
    OK. I'll get it. THX 4 all.

Similar Threads

  1. Can i save programs?
    By Dreamofgilgamesh in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 09:43 PM
  2. Help me Save my Data!
    By StryDeR in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 03:51 AM
  3. Save Config
    By threedzion in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 11:39 PM
  4. Save Myconfig Outside KDE
    By unamiccia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 02:43 AM
  5. Run from FAT, save to FAT
    By magico in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95