Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: skype

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41

    skype

    Hello,
    I have tested on knoppix 3.4 kernel 2.4, it's okay.
    I have converted the *.rpm with alien
    bye

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Talk about coincidences, just a couple of days ago I had a look at skype and they didn't have a linux client. Seems like they do now
    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Seems to have some bugs still.
    - When you quit the program without logging out the daemon is left running. Have to select "log off" first. Killing the processes isn't very convenient
    - The advanced tab isn't working when searching for users.

    If you got them working would you mind telling me how?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    I tried skype recently and I was amazed. Better quality than a cell phone call, and with 4 people in a call it was perfect. Reccomend people check it out, and good on skype making a linux client.

    Another point is the client is well written, it's not some java client or anything like that, but native a KDE client.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: skype

    Quote Originally Posted by pc3
    Hello,
    I have tested on knoppix 3.4 kernel 2.4, it's okay.
    I have converted the *.rpm with alien
    bye
    Debian package for it using these lines in your sources.list. There is also a skype-avatars package as well.


  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Don't forget Probono's Klik package for Skype at klik.berlios.de

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    I installed skype thru klik (klik://skype) and it installed fine
    but I can't create a new user. It just fails at the login after
    connecting. Is there some trick that I forgot or never knew?

    Anybody got a hint for me?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Well I was able to actually talk to a friend using Skype tonight and I have to agree with eadz - the sound quality is GREAT. I'm looking forward to the time when the Linux version of Skype supports conference calling. Right now the the Linux version of Skype can function as a client on a conference call, but not as a server. Hopefully that will change in the future.

    SunnyB I don't have any advice for you. I was able to create a new user without any problem. I created another new one tonight for my wife. Are you getting any error messages. I put some characters in the password for the account that I was setting up for my wife which caused it to be rejected the first time I submitted it. After I took out the # it worked fine.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    BTW,

    Skype can be distributed on Knoppix or a remaster as long as the following requirements are met (from the Skype EULA)
    (b) You are allowed to redistribute the Software, under the conditions that you (i) do not modify the Software; (ii) do not remove any proprietary notices from the Software; (iii) notify Skype in writing via email to [email protected] of your intentions to promote or distribute the Skype software; (iv) clearly indicate that the Software originates from Skype and use the links and graphics as published and indicated on www.skype.com/go/redistribution and, if published on a website, include a link to www.skype.com and a link to the download location of the Software; (v) constantly monitor www.skype.com in order to ensure that you are distributing the latest stable version; and (vi) do not distribute the Software for any (commercial) gain, including but not limited to including the Software in any commercial software bundle. However, the publishers of computer magazines for end users are allowed to distribute the Software for free with their magazines, provided that they meet with all aforementioned conditions.
    The Linux Skype forum can be found here

Similar Threads

  1. Sound not working in Skype
    By steev in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
  2. Skype P2P Telephony Software
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 04:47 PM
  3. Can skype work with Knoppix?? (with no ALSA)
    By fla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Western Digital WD121PURP  12TB SATA 3.5

Western Digital WD121PURP 12TB SATA 3.5" Purple Pro Surveillance Hard Drive

$275.00



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



WD Red 2TB SATA NAS 3.5

WD Red 2TB SATA NAS 3.5" HDD WD20EFRX - SMART TESTED, WIPED

$68.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION* picture

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*

$319.79



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5

Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$69.00