-
Boot Disk ???'s
I did a HD install from the live CD version 3.3 using the Knoppix-installer Version 0.3-6 (ver 0.2-3? was on the cd). All seemed to go OK except for the LILO install - I get
L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 (etc)
When I install the "Boot Disk" that was generated as part of the HD install, I get
Operating System not Found
OK - Use a Window$ ME boot disk to reload the MBR, then reboot to the knoppix 3.3 CD and try to run LILO. Get error about modifying the lilo.conf file. Cant seem to get there from here!!!
Boot Disk still gives me
Operating System not Found
.
I want to cleanup the Lilo.conf file and run lilo to reinstall on the MBR. How - in basic simple language, a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, - can I get back into my HD install so I can modify the lilo.conf and run lilo???
-
Senior Member
registered user
1) Boot Knoppix
2) Mount the / partition for example:
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
3) chroot to the partition,
chroot /mnt/hda2
4) Edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite editor
mcedit /etc/lilo.conf
5) Rerun lilo
lilo -v
6) Exit chroot
CTRL+D
Now I assume you installed to only one partition. If you put /usr on another part then you need to mount that as well.
After you get lilo reinstalled and working do yoursef a favor and install grub.
-
Thanks for the help on Lilo - now I need to look into GRUB...
-
Senior Member
registered user
apt-get install grub grub-doc
update-grub
reboot
Then I would suggest having a look at /boot/grub/menu.lst just to familiarize yourself. When you install a new kernel w/ a properly configured grub or when you run 'update-grub' then that file is automatically updated.
Similar Threads
-
By gabriele in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 24
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 11:31 PM
-
By keava in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
-
By Spyder_Snyper in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 08:21 PM
-
By outlaw in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 10:37 PM
-
By Guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00