Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Connect to Internet, but, goes nowhere

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2

    Connect to Internet, but, goes nowhere

    Hello,

    I am fairly new to linux, and very new to knoppix. I did a hd install and love it. I have an external conexant modem, I hooked it up last night, and everything worked perfectly. My mom went to connect this morning (she is visiting, and is impressed with knoppix) and it connected. She went into her yahoo mail, clicked on a message, and a window came up and asked her to save the link or open it in XMMS (she didn't know what XMMS was) but, she opened it using xmms. It freaked her out because nothing was happening, then decided to close the window. She then tried to go back online. This is where I came in, she told me what happened, I rebooted the computer, and logged back online, it connected just fine. Now, I can't go anywhere on the internet, no ping, no webpages, no email. What happened and how do I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks,
    Brad

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Hmmm... Interesting problem.
    I think you basically need to go back and start diagnosing the problem from the lower levels up.
    Firstly, what is the output of attempting to ping an external host?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hello,

    Hmmm... Interesting problem.
    I think you basically need to go back and start diagnosing the problem from the lower levels up.
    Firstly, what is the output of attempting to ping an external host?
    I started completely over. When I would try to ping an address (both IP and website.name.com) It just sat there, when I finally hit ctrl-z to stop it pinging, of course, it was 100% packet loss, but there was nothing saying it couldn't resolve the host or anything. So.......

    I got frustrated, luckily, I didn't have much on the hard drive anyway, so, I reformatted it and started over. Now, it works just fine, no problems at all, I even got a few programs back that I wanted to keep that when I used the kpackage program to update the system, got rid of.

    All is well in Knoppix Land!

    Brad

Similar Threads

  1. Cant connect to the internet
    By simplyskate in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 06:45 PM
  2. i can't normally connect to internet
    By linukas in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 10:13 AM
  3. connect to the internet
    By sunpascal in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 02:08 PM
  4. connect to internet using USB DSL
    By jselman in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 12:33 AM
  5. help! can't connect to internet
    By THiM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151

$39.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



AMD Ryzen 5 8400F 4.2GHz 6-Core/ 12-Threads Socket AM5 65W Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 8400F 4.2GHz 6-Core/ 12-Threads Socket AM5 65W Processor

$129.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99