Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Network wont work without dhcpcd eth0, on every boot..

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15

    Network wont work without dhcpcd eth0, on every boot..

    The net worked perfectly when i ran knoppix from the cd, but after the hdd install it wouldn't co-operate..
    When i start the computer, and while it's configurating the network, it stays a while on Configuring network interfaces and then says Failed: Could not bring up eth0..
    Well, I asked some friends, and they advised me to run dhcpcd eth0.. After noticing that knoppix didn't have dhcpcd (and pump eth0 didn't work), I thought I could install it..
    Well I did, and after running dhcpcd eth0 the net works.. But I have to do this every time i start the computer! And it still can't bring up eth0 in the network interface configuration.

    What should I do? Any thougts are welcome..

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Network wont work without dhcpcd eth0, on every boot..

    Quote Originally Posted by e2k
    The net worked perfectly when i ran knoppix from the cd, but after the hdd install it wouldn't co-operate..
    When i start the computer, and while it's configurating the network, it stays a while on Configuring network interfaces and then says Failed: Could not bring up eth0..
    Well, I asked some friends, and they advised me to run dhcpcd eth0.. After noticing that knoppix didn't have dhcpcd (and pump eth0 didn't work), I thought I could install it..
    Well I did, and after running dhcpcd eth0 the net works..
    You can just add that to the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

    Code:
    echo "dhcpcd eth0" >> /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
    BEWARE! You can hose up your bootmisc.sh file if you enter that command wrong. Of course to be safe you could just edit it by hand.

    But I have to do this every time i start the computer! And it still can't bring up eth0 in the network interface configuration.
    What network interface configuration?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15

    Re: Network wont work without dhcpcd eth0, on every boot..

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    But I have to do this every time i start the computer! And it still can't bring up eth0 in the network interface configuration.
    What network interface configuration?
    You know, when you start the computer.. I was referring to this:
    When i start the computer, and while it's configurating the network, it stays a while on Configuring network interfaces and then says Failed: Could not bring up eth0..
    Thanks for the advice you gave me! But it would be nice to know why the network won't work without dhcpcd eth0? In other words, why can't the configuration bring up eth0?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well I have no idea. I use DHCP also and pump doesn't do diddly squat for me. I prefer dhclient but that's really just a personal choice. At any rate- you need something to tell your interface to go looking for an i.p. address. You can use dhcp or you can set static i.p.'s whatever you like best.
    What brand/model/type of card is it?

Similar Threads

  1. get stuck on "network Eth0 Detected DHCP broacasting fo
    By lostinspace in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 01:50 PM
  2. Eth0/Eth1 network problem
    By evan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 06:41 PM
  3. Network card wont work on boot
    By fweeee in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
  4. Network card eth0 start with DHCP !!!!!
    By fabry6210 in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
  5. network boot won't work..
    By fabfab in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



X4TTX Dell PERC H730P SATA/SAS PCIe RAID Controller 0X4TTX picture

X4TTX Dell PERC H730P SATA/SAS PCIe RAID Controller 0X4TTX

$42.00



Cisco UCSB-MRAID12G FlexStorage 12G SAS Raid Controller picture

Cisco UCSB-MRAID12G FlexStorage 12G SAS Raid Controller

$23.99



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



Dell PERC H710 / H730 RAID Controller with Battery Backup Unit (DP/N: 037CT1) picture

Dell PERC H710 / H730 RAID Controller with Battery Backup Unit (DP/N: 037CT1)

$20.00