Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: silent Knoppix

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    silent Knoppix

    I have knx 3.3 upgraded to KDE3.2, cannot get sounds to work. Everything seems OK, sound system is enabled in Control Center, system sounds are selected 'on', sounds files make the proper noise when tested but the event (eg open a window) does not trigger the sound.
    What am I not setting up properly?
    Next question: Konqueror sound preview will only play the first 1 second of an ogg file (eg Knoppix 'startup.ogg). Is there an addon needed or something to get the embedded sound player to play ogg files?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I presume sounds was working before the KDE upgrade? Can you play any sound files from command line?

    Code:
    play some.ogg

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I *think* sound was working before the upgrade, don't recall actually checking.
    I haven't tried from command line but I can play sounds manually...the sound bits in /usr/share/sounds make the proper dings & beeps when sampled with konqueror embedded media player and the ogg file will play with xmms. (Ogg files will start to play with embedded media player too but stop after only one second.)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Hmm sounds like a definite KDE problem. Sorry CrashedAgain I'm not at all familiar w/ KDE. Lemme see if I remember why.........oh yeah it keeps breaking!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1
    cool

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    'Tis OK now (at least the sound "events" part)...I found the answer in KDE bugzilla. Have to change some settings in /home/usr/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc to true; apparently KDE (at least the Debian unstable package) doesn't do it properly by default.

    I've found this quite a bit with KDE (especially with KDE & sound), it's not really 'broken' it's just that you have to find & change some setting in some really obscure config file somewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Hmm sounds like a definite KDE problem. Sorry CrashedAgain I'm not at all familiar w/ KDE. Lemme see if I remember why.........oh yeah it keeps breaking!
    Don't suppose you could have a look at my questions 'Knoppix.clean script' posted in remastering forum could you?

Similar Threads

  1. silent boot (no text at all during boot)
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:58 AM
  2. silent startup of Knoppix live cd??
    By MutantsForNukes in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 02:52 AM
  3. Silent Computer
    By jbreiden in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 05:12 AM
  4. OpenOffice silent death / Knoppix from hdd
    By pierre-m in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 07:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



10x LOT: New in Box Cisco CP-7821-K9 VOIP Business Phones w/ Handsets + Stands picture

10x LOT: New in Box Cisco CP-7821-K9 VOIP Business Phones w/ Handsets + Stands

$795.00



Ubiquiti UniFi Talk UVP-Touch VoIP IP Phone PoE Touchscreen Tested Reset picture

Ubiquiti UniFi Talk UVP-Touch VoIP IP Phone PoE Touchscreen Tested Reset

$64.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99