Which one is the best way to install knoppix into my hardrive?
Thank You.
Which one is the best way to install knoppix into my hardrive?
Thank You.
/usr/sbin/knx2hd is just a symbolic link to /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer. In other words, they're one and the same script. At least in Knoppix v3.4.
You need to be using some window manager (not necessarily KDE, I guess) when you run it, because 1) it presents you with a graphical user interface; and 2) it runs a KDE-based program, QTParted, to partition your hard drive(s). In other words, it needs X Windows to run.
So, you will need to run it from a bash prompt in a shell in a window manager (like KDE) as root.
Actually it does not need X to run. You may execute it from run level 2. It will then fire up cfdisk instead of qtparted.Originally Posted by eco2geek
I would suggest choosing the 'Debian' type install.
Aha.Originally Posted by mzilikazi
Learn something new every day.
Will cfdisk format partitions in ext3? Or do you have to use something like "mke2fs -j /dev/hdX" after using cfdisk?
Why? Can somebody please point me to somewhere documenting the difference between these knoppix-installer types? Also, how do you customise the assignment of partitions for the installer?Originally Posted by mzilikazi
"Can somebody please point me to somewhere documenting the difference between these knoppix-installer types?"
Even for me this will be very helpfull! Thanks![]()
Here's some explanations about them: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller
And here's a discussion about the subject: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11514
[quote="eco2geek"]That's correct you would need to format the partitions yourself as cfdisk has no capacity for formatting only marking partition types.Originally Posted by mzilikazi
X mzilikazi:
Could You tell me more on this? What exactly I have to do? It seems that qtparted would do the job, right?
Thanks
So, in my case, since I have an hardrive with windows xp and I would like a dual boot I can use qtparted only. Once qtparted will do the partition I have to click on commit to format the hardrive with a linux ext3 or reiser. Once the drive is parted I will open a root shell, then type knoppix-installer and the program will ask what type of installation I would like: debian-style, knoppix-style or beginer.
Than the program will install the knoppix, correct?
I hope I am in the right direction.
What it is not clear is what type of partition is the fastest one!?
Thanks

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N
$90.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00
fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray
$120.00