Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Knoppix installer from root shell, or knx2hd from boot?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by xaviers2002
    So, in my case, since I have an hardrive with windows xp and I would like a dual boot I can use qtparted only. Once qtparted will do the partition I have to click on commit to format the hardrive with a linux ext3 or reiser.
    If you need to resize a partitoin then yes use qtparted. You can launch it from a shell as root like so:

    sudo qtparted

    Once the drive is parted I will open a root shell, then type knoppix-installer and the program will ask what type of installation I would like: debian-style, knoppix-style or beginer.
    I guess that's really a personal preference. I use Debian type.

    Than the program will install the knoppix, correct?
    I hope I am in the right direction.
    What it is not clear is what type of partition is the fastest one!?
    Thanks
    Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    "Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however."

    What exactly is XFS? Could You give more informations on the issues You had with reiser?
    Thanks :P

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by xaviers2002
    "Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however."

    What exactly is XFS? Could You give more informations on the issues You had with reiser?
    Thanks :P
    I've been using reiserfs for a while, and have never had any problems. It's a personal preference, like he says, but don't be afraid to use it. I find it to be slightly faster (very slightly though). On the other hand I think there's a program to access ext3 partitions within windows.

    I don't think XFS is an option anymore. It's not a choice in the latest knoppix-installer script. I don't think many people ever used it anyways. So you'll choose either ext2 (no journalling, not a good idea) or ext3 or reiserfs.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    29

    knoppix 2 install

    mzilikazi said that we can start the installer from knoppix 2. Is it possible to install to start icewm instead of KDE?

    Isn't the old knxhdinstall no longer available?

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    That is correct! knxhdinstall is not longer available on knoppix 3.4! KNX2HD is the new command
    Usually I format the HD first with qtparted and then I will open a root shell and type KNX2HD!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Running commands & shell scripts automatically at boot
    By sunburnt in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 05:39 PM
  2. How to boot Knoppix as Root
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
  3. How to boot Knoppix as Root
    By satimis in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 08:11 AM
  4. lock root shell
    By Mikkey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
  5. root-shell doesn´t open ??
    By fritschi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00