-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xaviers2002
So, in my case, since I have an hardrive with windows xp and I would like a dual boot I can use qtparted only. Once qtparted will do the partition I have to click on commit to format the hardrive with a linux ext3 or reiser.
If you need to resize a partitoin then yes use qtparted. You can launch it from a shell as root like so:
sudo qtparted
Once the drive is parted I will open a root shell, then type knoppix-installer and the program will ask what type of installation I would like: debian-style, knoppix-style or beginer.
I guess that's really a personal preference. I use Debian type.
Than the program will install the knoppix, correct?
I hope I am in the right direction.
What it is not clear is what type of partition is the fastest one!?
Thanks
Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however.
-
Senior Member
registered user
"Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however."
What exactly is XFS? Could You give more informations on the issues You had with reiser?
Thanks :P
-

Originally Posted by
xaviers2002
"Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however."
What exactly is XFS? Could You give more informations on the issues You had with reiser?
Thanks :P
I've been using reiserfs for a while, and have never had any problems. It's a personal preference, like he says, but don't be afraid to use it. I find it to be slightly faster (very slightly though). On the other hand I think there's a program to access ext3 partitions within windows.
I don't think XFS is an option anymore. It's not a choice in the latest knoppix-installer script. I don't think many people ever used it anyways. So you'll choose either ext2 (no journalling, not a good idea) or ext3 or reiserfs.
-
Junior Member
registered user
knoppix 2 install
mzilikazi said that we can start the installer from knoppix 2. Is it possible to install to start icewm instead of KDE?
Isn't the old knxhdinstall no longer available?
-
Senior Member
registered user
That is correct! knxhdinstall is not longer available on knoppix 3.4! KNX2HD is the new command
Usually I format the HD first with qtparted and then I will open a root shell and type KNX2HD!
Similar Threads
-
By sunburnt in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-28-2005, 05:39 PM
-
By satimis in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
-
By satimis in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2005, 08:11 AM
-
By Mikkey in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
-
By fritschi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

Intel Core i7-12700 12 Core X208K805 LGA 1700 AS IS
$99.99

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99