-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix installer from root shell, or knx2hd from boot?
Which one is the best way to install knoppix into my hardrive?
Thank You.
-
Senior Member
registered user
/usr/sbin/knx2hd is just a symbolic link to /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer. In other words, they're one and the same script. At least in Knoppix v3.4.
You need to be using some window manager (not necessarily KDE, I guess) when you run it, because 1) it presents you with a graphical user interface; and 2) it runs a KDE-based program, QTParted, to partition your hard drive(s). In other words, it needs X Windows to run.
So, you will need to run it from a bash prompt in a shell in a window manager (like KDE) as root.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
2) it runs a KDE-based program, QTParted, to partition your hard drive(s). In other words, it needs X Windows to run.
Actually it does not need X to run. You may execute it from run level 2. It will then fire up cfdisk instead of qtparted. 
I would suggest choosing the 'Debian' type install.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi
Actually it does not need X to run. You may execute it from run level 2. It will then fire up cfdisk instead of qtparted.
Aha.
Learn something new every day.
Will cfdisk format partitions in ext3? Or do you have to use something like "mke2fs -j /dev/hdX" after using cfdisk?
-

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi
I would suggest choosing the 'Debian' type install.
Why? Can somebody please point me to somewhere documenting the difference between these knoppix-installer types? Also, how do you customise the assignment of partitions for the installer?
-
Senior Member
registered user
"Can somebody please point me to somewhere documenting the difference between these knoppix-installer types?"
Even for me this will be very helpfull! Thanks
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
[quote="eco2geek"]

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi
Will cfdisk format partitions in ext3? Or do you have to use something like "mke2fs -j /dev/hdX" after using cfdisk?
That's correct you would need to format the partitions yourself as cfdisk has no capacity for formatting only marking partition types.
-
Senior Member
registered user
"format the partitions yourself"
X mzilikazi:
Could You tell me more on this? What exactly I have to do? It seems that qtparted would do the job, right?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
So, in my case, since I have an hardrive with windows xp and I would like a dual boot I can use qtparted only. Once qtparted will do the partition I have to click on commit to format the hardrive with a linux ext3 or reiser. Once the drive is parted I will open a root shell, then type knoppix-installer and the program will ask what type of installation I would like: debian-style, knoppix-style or beginer.
Than the program will install the knoppix, correct?
I hope I am in the right direction.
What it is not clear is what type of partition is the fastest one!?
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By sunburnt in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-28-2005, 05:39 PM
-
By satimis in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
-
By satimis in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2005, 08:11 AM
-
By Mikkey in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
-
By fritschi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00