Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: webcam support?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    Since knoppix 3.6 does not include the webcam app that comes with xawtv, I had to work around it.

    I managed to get the webcam application that comes with xawtv to work, but I had to:

    1. su to root
    2. copy the xawtv source to /home/knoppix and unzip / untar
    3. ./configure -prefix /home/knoppix/xawtv; make; make install

    Then I could follow the instructions available at:
    http://www.aboutdebian.com/webcam.htm
    They give you a sampe webcam.conf file and a webcam.htm file you can put in /var/www. This is nice, as you can edit the webcam.htm file to expand your image or speed up the refresh rate, or put text around your image.

    The refresh is sorta slow, but that is ok. The only problem is getting the new xawtv distribution copied over every time I reboot to restart the webcam. I was hoping to run it off a default knoppix install, but this is not too bad. Once it starts running, it should run until the power kicks.

    And I need to set a password on the webcam.htm file. I assume that will be relatively easy with htpasswd.

    Oh, and the 3com vicam based card is flaky. I can run xcam and set the brightnes and color, but xawtv of gqcam may or may not run. Basically, it looks like xcam initializes something that allows the other applications to run, but those applications don't retain those settings so you have to run xcam again.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    13

    Logitech Webcam

    I have hooked a Logitech webcam to linux26 which is recognised. When I run
    gqcam
    nothing happens.

    Neither anything happens with
    xawtv

    There are two xawtv programs at multimedia video

    xawtv and xawtv (xwatv)

    The first one asks for 4 steps and aborts saying no channel found. Anad anyway nothing happens afterwords. Both programs gqcam and xawtv just disappear !!!

    Any ideas ?

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    xcam was the only one of three (xcam, gqcam, xawtv) that worked for me. After I run xcam and change from gray to color, I can run gqcam or xawtv and they work (once). I have to run xcam again to reinitialize.

    Try usbview to make sure something is found when your camera is plugged in.\

    Try xawtv -hwscan to see if /dev/video0 shows up.

    Try building the entire xawtv package... It really is not too bad.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    xawtv and gqcam work for my aiptek dual pencam (stv[0]680 chip, no audio), but only a short while, then the whole X11 hangs.
    I can switch to a root-console, and kill the process.
    Normally my usb-mouse isn't working then, and I have to
    Code:
    rmmod uhci-hcd
    modprobe uhci-hcd
    to get it working again.

    I didn't test 'webcam' till now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Webcam Driver
    By Keithj in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 02:10 AM
  2. Webcam not working....
    By rrfish72 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 02:16 PM
  3. webcam on Knoppix
    By lvenneke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 08:38 AM
  4. Philips PCVC720K/40 XS ToUcam USB Webcam Support
    By FZ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
  5. USB Webcam Ezonics
    By smarchand291 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 12:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$249.99