Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: webcam support?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16

    webcam support?

    To my knowledge, knoppix doesn't include a program for live webcam video streaming. (correct me if I'm wrong)

    Knoppix needs this!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    well more searching has revealed that knoppix has gqcam and xawtv... so I guess I was wrong.. I'll try them out tonight!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    I got gqcam & xawtv working but ALAS the other tools in the xawtv package don't seem to be installed.

    It would be nice to have the webcam tool in that package!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    42

    hardware

    I am also interested in this wabcamability. thou I have had problems using both my haphaugue tv capture card and Maplins minicam and also my usb camera.

    what is the recomended hardware for webcamming?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    I have one of the logitech quickcams that were very commonplace for awhile. I found the linux driver at http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net.

    BTW I managed to download the xawtv source code and compile the whole package, using only live CD (no HD!) So now I have the webcam program that was part of the xawtv package not included in the knoppix distro.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    42
    That sounds groovy!
    Dont suppose you can remember how you did it and what problems you came up against?
    I feel this forum needs you.


    no pressure!

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    Actually I didn't run into any problems, I just downloaded the xawtv source from http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv and followed the usual compile routine per the readme: configure, make, make install (cant remember the order). I was quite surprised when it sucessfully compiled it with a stock knoppix distro. since I wanted to use the webcam program to periodically take pictures and ftp them to a ftp site, the tricky part was configuring the .webcamrc file in the home directory. see http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/linux/webcam.html for tips on that

    Oh after compiling the driverI would save the driver (I named it quickcam.o) to a usb keydrive for easy retrieval after reboot, and I do the following 2 commands to load it.
    sudo modprobe videodev
    insmod quickcam.o

    Here are some more linux webcam links:

    ideo4linux mailing list https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listi...deo4linux-list
    http://hshanemd.net/docs/HOWTOS/Webc...ices.html#QCAM
    http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/devices.shtml
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VideoLAN-HOWTO/index.html
    l

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    There is a project 'pencam2', formerly 'pencam/ pensnap', to support the Aiptek pencam dual with stv0680/ stv680 chip.

    A few years ago I took the sources of that project, and merged them with svgalib, to put liveimages (at a rate of 3pics per second) to the console, which worked not very stable, but somewhat stable: Too fast capturing (> 3 pics/sec) often lead to abortion, while slow capturing (<3 pics/sec) went over hours.

    When trying to recompile it for kernel 2.6, I failed - the libusb is making troubles - and I didn't find time to fix it.

    my project is called 'vgasnap' and easily found on my homepage or at freshmeat.

    At freshmeat you will find nearly everything

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10

    webcam with knoppix 3.6

    I finally got xawtv to work, using knoppix 3.6. Now, knoppix works with my old crappy usb camera to some extent.

    Problem is, they did not install the actual webcam application that works with xawtv. I tried downloading the .deb, using alien to get it in a .tgz and running it, but there are dep problems. I can't just use apt-get install webcam like the linux webcam faq suggests.

    Any ideas? Do I need to download the xawtv package and make the whole thing? I really just need the simple webcam app.

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    xawtv is SUPPOSED to be able to capture video, but i haven't heard anyone getting this working yet.

    I used the webcam utility that comes with xawtv and didn't really care for it too much as (IMHO) it was pretty heavy on the configuration end to get it to do what I wanted. Now using a very simple utility called motion.

    http://motion.sourceforge.net/

    I run everything from a CD so I carry around a thumbdrive with basic utilities, scripts, and drivers I need. On there I have the logitech quickcam-usb drivers and a compiled motion binary.

    There are limitations; motion works on motion detection, so you can't get a standard 30FPS video like you can with some web utilities. However, it does a great job of letting you set the thresh hold sensitivity. When it detects motion, it takes a picture. The resulting jpgs I join together to make a DIVX avi file, or just watch via slide show in kuickshow.

    Usually use the command:

    ./motion -Q -L85

    for decent framerate and no annoyin beep everytime a jpg is rendered.

    Its not perfect, but it is very small and portable, and I found easiest to deal with. Also great for just testing a webcam.

    As a final note, if you want standard 30 FPS avi type video, I do the same sort of thing by carrying around a compiled version of streamer which is part of the mplayer package, but I just use this utility. These files are good quality, but get HUGE quickly (approx 10M a minute rough guess). I never have been able to get mencoder working with my logictech quickcam, keeps skwauking about not having a bttv device attached (duh!). Theortically it should work with better quality and smaller video foot print.

    ~pau1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Webcam Driver
    By Keithj in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 02:10 AM
  2. Webcam not working....
    By rrfish72 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 02:16 PM
  3. webcam on Knoppix
    By lvenneke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 08:38 AM
  4. Philips PCVC720K/40 XS ToUcam USB Webcam Support
    By FZ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
  5. USB Webcam Ezonics
    By smarchand291 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 12:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G SM-T738U 12.4

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G SM-T738U 12.4" Tablet Gray 64GB T-Mobile CRACKED

$82.68



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00



Lot of 12 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets with BAD LCD for Parts picture

Lot of 12 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets with BAD LCD for Parts

$381.38