That depends on what you removed.![]()
You can always check the list of what comes with v3.4.
As the subject suggests,
I am migrating from Knoppix v3.3 over to v3.4, and, if I recall correctly, I had to go through a whole lot of "apt-get remove" junk that came along with the hdd install of v3.3, is this still an issue with the install of v3.4? Is the same "junk" I did in v3.3 the same in v3.4?
I still have a whole long list of "junk" that I removed from v3.3, and can do the same after v3.4 gets installed, is there more I need to worry about, or less, or whatever?
Thanks for any, and all, responses,
Ms. Cuddles
That depends on what you removed.![]()
You can always check the list of what comes with v3.4.
Just like at the yard sales, one person's junk is another's treasure!Originally Posted by Cuddles
I've found that there is always a lot of apps in Knoppix that are candidates to remove. Haven't tried 3.4 yet but I'm sure it will be true of it too. I have made up a 'PurgeList' file so I can just do 'apt-get remove `cat PurgeList` to do it all at once. PurgeList file works best as a space separated text list.
do you mean like the liveCD hangovers here ??
sysVinit etc. or do you mean packages....
The live hangovers are a pain (my last several installs have been kanotix not knoppix becuase of this)... but it would be nice to know the state of play and what cleaning needs to be done to get to a standard debian install.
Lets see if I can remember some of the "stuff"...
Extra languages that I would never use, extra alternatives other than XFree86, JOE ( sheesh, that one was the cause of many blow-ups in apt-get! ), extra locales, and then you get into the extra packages that don't apply to my system - no network card, no pcmcia, no need for a Windows Server, no file server, no web server, etc... etc... etc...
I am a "pack-rat" when it comes to information I have attained previously, the list of "stuff" is still resedent on my system, from the last install, and will be applied to the new install. Apt-get upgrade's are long enough on a 56k dial-up, I don't need to make them any longer by upgrading stuff I don't need, or use, as someone "delicately" put it when I was compilng the list back in v3.3
Just some information,
Ms. Cuddles

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
AYANEO AM01 AMD Ryzen 7 5800U Gaming Mini PC Retro Classic DP DDR4 32GB 1Tb
$400.00