Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 3.4 on Dell Inspiron 8600: Wireless not detected

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8

    Knoppix 3.4 on Dell Inspiron 8600: Wireless not detected

    Hi, the HDD on my 8600 got fried, and so I turned to Knoppix for the termporary OS until they send me a hard drive that works.. anyway, Knoppix does not detect my wireless mini-pci adapter. I believe it is broadcom... Any idea on what I need to get, and how to get it to work? (keep in mind, no hard drive here, so if this could be some automated script or something that could be placed on the Knoppix CD, it would be really nice)

    Thanks!

    PS I am Windows user, dont know anything about drivers or hardware detection or installaltion in Linux, so if there is some.. erm... step by step procedure, or a how to guide, would be really nice as well, cause apart from using KDE, and compiling programs with GCC for my class, I dont know how anyhting runs.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1
    I also have a dell inspiron 8600 that won't detect the wireless nic.
    According to the utility in XP...
    Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Adapter
    Chipset BCM4306/BCM2050

    It's an a/b/g nic built in.
    Dell didn't have a linux driver to download for it.

    After doing a little searching....
    I ran wlcardconfig, did not detect the wireless card.
    I ran lspci and came back with..
    0000:02:03.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 03)
    I ran lscpi -n and came back with..
    0000:02:03.0 Class 0280: 14e4:4324 (rev 03)

    From this link http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=broadcom
    I guess my next step would be to look at ndiswrapper.
    Any suggestions?

    thanks
    Mike

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8
    Ok, well by now I got my new hard drive in, and I am back up and running with WinXP
    Still, I am toying around with an idea of dual boot, except there is still the issue of wireless not working.. From what I read, I need ndiswrapper, and I tried that out with Knoppix, but ran into 2 problems, first of, there was an error making a directory after compilation, no idea why and where it wanted to make it, and why it failed... Second problem is that the laptop driver (Dell TM1400) is 17Mb of files, and around 4 .inf's, which one do I use?!

    But first step I guess is to get the thing to compile without directory creation errors? Do these files have to be in some special place?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8
    Oo found how to copy paste off the Konsole

    Here is the error it spits out at me:

    make install
    make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda1/ndis/driver'
    ld -r -o ndiswrapper.o wrapper.o iw_ndis.o loader.o ntoskernel.o ndis.o misc_funcs.o proc.o divdi3.o hal.o
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.26/misc
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/lib/modules/2.4.26/misc': Read-only file system
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda1/ndis/driver'
    make: *** [install] Error 2


    So what do I do?

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8.1 on Inspiron 8600
    By kwixson in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
  2. Works Well on Dell Inspiron 8600
    By knoppixuser001 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 04:31 PM
  3. Dell Inspiron 5100, Wireless Net
    By Rivix in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 11:48 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 12:04 AM
  5. Dell Inspiron 8600
    By fcc in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99