-
Mounting drives
I have just done a HD install and everything is fine except my floppy and cdrom drives are not mounted. Is there a command to mount them, I'm Linux challenged - for the time being anyway.
Jack
-
Floppy and cdrom are not mounted because Knoppix mounts them in the root "/" directory. You will see them there. Also look at your /etc/fstab file. It will show where and how they are mounted. i.e.:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
Because of the "noauto" option in the fsab file they are not automatically mounted on boot. Remove the "noauto" option to make them available.
The "Floppy disk" icon on the desktop points to the wrong mount point. Change its properties to reflect /floppy or change the mount point in fstab to /mnt/floppy.
To mount from the command line:
mount /dev/cdrom /your/mount/point
and
mount /dev/fd0 /your/mount/point
Good Luck!
Mike
-
Thanks,
That worked - had to remember how to use 'vi'
Any ideas how to mount the windows partition, I tried the same line in fstab as when Knoppix is running from the CD, but I get a /hda1 does not exist.
-
mmaki
1.) open a console
3)type “su” to get superuser, and enter the password when requested
4)type “mkdir win” to create the directory “win”.
5)still as superuser, type “kedit” or "vi "
6)open /etc/fstab in “kedit” or "vi "
7)at the end of the file create a new line that looks like the following:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win vfat defaults,exec,umask=000 0 0
(Note that hda1 is assuming that Windows is located on the first partition of the first hard drive on the first ide controller on your system)
save the file and exit
9)reboot your computer
You should now be mounted to your windows hard disk (also writable!).
Enjoy!
paul icon_lol.gif icon_cool.gif
-
-
Back again,
How do I change permissions on the windows drive so I can write to it. I saved an email attachment to a directory in /home/knoppix, but get a "Could not change permissions for
/mnt/win/Temp/designchanges.dwg" when I try to copy it to the windows directory. This was using drag and drop. Tried to do it from a command window (user and as root), but get a directory doesn't exist when doing a cd /Downlaod.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've had problems writing to my windows (vfat) partitions unless I'm root. There are some ways around this, what version of windows are you using? What windows filesystem?
rock
-
I'm using Win 98 on this machine.
The funny part is that when I look at the win box - either in linux or windows the file is there.
-
Forgot the file system is fat32
Similar Threads
-
By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 20
Last Post: 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
-
By Romkillah in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
-
By mergoda in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2004, 11:23 PM
-
By rasafrasit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 02:17 PM
-
By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99