Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Is it possible to view MSW hidden files on GNU?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10

    Is it possible to view MSW hidden files on GNU?

    I burnt some files to CD. They were hidden on MSWindows. They don't show up now when I look for them on a GNU system. Even when I have "show hidden files" checked. I suspect that MSW and Unix has incompatible file hiding methods.

    Is there a way around this or do I have to find a MSW machine, unhide and reburn?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Zerro,

    First of all, I am no expert on this subject, most of this is "conjecture", since I have never "delved" into either MSW's or Linux's way of saving the bytes that hold the "protection" of there respective file systems... So, I guess what I am saying is, take this with a "grain of salt", so to speak... ( I am sure others have more "indepth" information on the file bits )

    Windows knows about its own files, and appears to have no clue what a "Linux" file is, or what to do with it, or even read it. On the other hand, Linux, understands its own files, and has been given information on other file systems files structure. ( i.e. FAT, VFAT, and NTFS )

    My theory on the whole Linux behind Windows' back playing, is, look but don't touch. I have viewed MSW's files, but never "tinkered" with them, and have yet, had problems with Windows not being able to use its own files. My guess is, if you change file "properties" from within Linux, to a file that belongs to Windows, they may not be "compatable" protection information. At least NTFS is closer to Linux, as far as what "types" of bits are being set for protection; user, group, and world - and of these; write, read, and execute -=- but I am not sure if they use the "same" ways of storing those bits for the file.

    Maybe a test before you burn... Try a small file, one that might fit on a floppy, set the files protection with MSW's ( maybe three files; hidden, read-only, etc... ) -=- then see what you can do to them in Linux ( possibly change the files protections on the floppy, then go back to MSW's and see what it thinks of the "protection changes". My best attempt here...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. qparted and hidden partition...
    By lilguru in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:05 PM
  2. How to view files on a mac floppy disk?
    By kn2user in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 07:09 PM
  3. lilo - hidden fat32 partition
    By Rivendell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 08:55 AM
  4. Hidden Partition in Windows XP
    By mbw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 02:37 AM
  5. How to copy hidden files use 'cp' command?
    By Omak in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 picture

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2

$200.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED. picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED.

$214.99