-
Re: knoppix as a general purpose server

Originally Posted by
martinkong
Is there any mini Knoppix variant out there that's more suitable for server purposes:
- no need for desktop app. or even X windows
- support more harddrive mount points (from reading doc., my understanding is that only /home is supported)
- with enhanced security, e.g. with SELinux
Thanks!
I started out with Knoppix trying to do this. I gave up because the remaster was just too much of a PITA. I elected to switch to LiveCD http://livecd.berlios.de/. This allows you to install a Mandrake Linux version to your HD then make a live CD out of it.
I now have a great setup:
2.6.5 Kernel
Apache 2
Samba 3.0
BincIMAP
Getmail
PureFTP
DNSMasq for DNS and DHCP
XFree running KDE
Webmin
And a whole bunch more. I run the OS from a CD and the data is saved to a HD. I have a small HD setup to write tmp files to and for symlinked config files. Once I get the config files setup the way I want I may (or may not) remove the small HD and make it all run off the CD. This way my data and OS are totally segragated.
I think Knoppix is great - I use it as a rescue CD and have given it to many people who were itching to try Linux but scared. The remaster is just a lot harder than it should be. And YES - I did SEVERAL remasters - it just wasn't as easy as LiveCD.
Similar Threads
-
By pembo13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-06-2005, 06:54 PM
-
By martinkong in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:27 PM
-
By Quip Frok in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
-
By ishaim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
-
By SpankySTD in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive
$109.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99