Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Black Screen

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Black Screen

    I just downloaded the English version of Knoppix and booted it from CD. When it started it seemed ok, looked at USB devices scanned hardware, etc. but after it did its scanning my monitor just went black and didn't do anything for a half hour. Any Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You're not giving much hardware info to go on...?
    Try different cheatcodes, especially things like xmodule=what_you_have screen=1280x1024 vga=normal noscsi

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Hardware Specs

    Specs:

    AMD Athlon 1.67 GHz
    224 MB of RAM
    Monitor: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR currently running at 1024x768 and at 60 hertz.

    I played around with the expert cheat code and was able to get the desktop to show up when I changed the monitor to 800x600 but the display was stuck at 640x480 and that appears very large on this 17 inch monitor. I have been playing around with the display settings but everytime I come close the monitor displays a blue box that claims I am out of range, whatever that means. I will keep trying options but if anyone knows how to fix this I am all ears!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Another cheatcode would be vsync=60 (change 60 to what your monitor specs say for the given resolution).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1
    I had the same problem with the blackscreen. I used knoppix acpi=off
    and that resolved the problem.

    If that doesn't do it for you start with 'failsafe' at the boot: screen.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Failsafe came close

    I tried all the other cheat codes that had been sugested to me and they didn't work. Then I tried the failsafe mode which got me in at 1024x768 with no problems but I couldn't use the mouse or keyboard. I guess they mean no hard ware when they say it. I was wondering if there was a cheat code to just turn off monitor detection because that would probably be the ticket.

    Thanks for all of your help so far!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Cheatcodes can be a tricky thing on picky hardware, you just have to keep at it and eventually you'll find the right set. At least it boots!
    You could try something like:
    knoppix xmodule=s3 screen=1024x768 pci=biosirq vsync=60
    or
    fb1024x768 xmodule=s3 pci=biosirq vsync=60
    Throw in any no-options you feel like testing, sorry but it's kind of hard to guess, it's one of those trial and error/success things.

    EDIT: BTW the vsync thingy stands for vertical refresh rate which is what your monitor was complaining about with the "out of sync" error. 60 will flicker quite a lot if you don't have LCD but is the best that old monitors will do, so you might want to check the manual for your monitor and videocard to see what they support for different resolutions.

Similar Threads

  1. Black screen??
    By mikeym9477 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
  2. Screen goes black now?
    By Eponick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:36 AM
  3. Black screen...
    By Corallis in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
  4. Help my screen is black
    By mperry2014 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige picture

WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige

$93.82



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit picture

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit

$399.00



AC Adapter For Aiper Scuba SE Cordless Robotic Above Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner picture

AC Adapter For Aiper Scuba SE Cordless Robotic Above Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner

$20.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67