Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: The colour of user@hostname~@: ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15

    The colour of user@hostname~@: ?

    Hello again..
    This time I'm wondering about the colour of the "user@hostname~@:" in the Console? When I ran knoppix from the cd, it used to be cyan(?), after the hdd-install it's just plain white..
    My friends adviced me to edit /home/user/.bash_profile, but I noticed that I didn't even have one! Well my friend sent his one over and I managed to get it into my home folder.. But the colour of user@hostname~@: is still white? How can I change this? What file should I edit/make?

    And by the way, I had to shutdown X (init 3) while I was installing the nvidia drivers.. There I noticed a change of colours.. Did the .bash_profile I created only affect that?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    You should take a look at the Bash Prompt HOW-TO at the Linux Documentation Project -- specifically the section on Colors.

    For example, in order to change the color of the bash prompt to cyan for all users, look for the following line in /etc/profile (as root):

    PS1="\u@\h:\w\\$ "

    Change it to this (additions bolded):

    PS1="\[\033[1;36m\]\u@\h:\w\\$\[\033[0m\] "

    (Dunno about the NVidia part of your question. Nothing radically changed when I installed 'em...)

    If you only want the changes to apply to your user, instead of all users, add the line to ~/.bashrc instead of /etc/profile.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15
    Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for

Similar Threads

  1. Unique Hostname
    By A.Skwar in forum Ideas
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
  2. change hostname?
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:53 PM
  3. Where's the colour gone
    By GlennsPref in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 07:02 AM
  4. Can't set hostname.
    By WimG in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
  5. How do I change the hostname?
    By jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99