Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: A bit of general trouble

  1. #1

    A bit of general trouble

    Hello, everyone. I'm pretty new to Linux, so I thought I'd give Knoppix a try.

    I'm a having a bit of trouble, but I'm afraid that my inexperience will make it hard to describe my problem. If anybody could give me any advice, I'd appreciate it immensely.

    When I boot from the CD, it starts loading, says that it "can't find a KNOPPIX filesystem," and gives me a DOS-esque command prompt-looking deal.

    I tried a "failsafe" boot, which loads the OS, but when it's finished loading, it appears messed up. It's flickering and illegible. I apologize for my scarce description; the best way I can describe it is like trying to watch a PAL video on an NTSC system. Once again, I'm sorry. But, if anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful. I can't wait to give Linux a try. Thank you for your time.


    Sincerely,
    Christopher David YUDICHAK

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    The Care and Feading of Linux Coasters

    Sounds like a bad CD burn. Get used to 'em until you get the hang of burning bootable ISOs! This creature you've made is so infamous that it has a name: Linux Coaster. Linux Coasters are great at parties. Just lay them out at random intervals, don't worry you'll soon have many of them, so people can rest their drinks on them and not mess up your furniture....

    But seriously, it does sound like a bad burn. Please describe how you burnt your CD.

    Regards,
    AJG

  3. #3
    I downloaded the ISO, which was about 686MB, and saved it to the hard drive.

    Then, I used the programme which came with my burner to burn the ISO to the disk. It had an option labeled "Burn ISO." It burned at 16x and took about 5.5 minutes. The filesizes matched.

    The one thing that gets me is that it loads the first graphic where it says something like, "Press ENTER to boot Linux. Hit F2 for help or F3 for more options." That's where I've been trying the failsafe boot, which appears to work, but with graphical problems.

    I apologize if I'm not being specific enough. Please let me know if you might need some more information about the process I took to burn or attempt booting.

    Thanks for the fast reply.


    Sincerely,
    Christopher David YUDICHAK

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9
    you could try to burn it again with a slower speed this time, I once burned the iso on 32x and everything seems fine but some programs didnt work, I tried burning it at a slower speed 4x, and it came out perfectly. Sometimes burning at a high speed can cause different problems. You can try that solution and see what happens.

  5. #5
    Ok, thank you. I'll try reburning tonight and let you know how it turns out.


    Sincerely,
    Christopher David YUDICHAK

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I think you burned the image just fine. Why not tell us what kind of hardware you have. You can boot into run level 2 (use the 2 cheatcode) and issue:

    lspci

    to get some hardware info (if you have none) and you can even join the knoppix irc channel w/ bitchx or other
    text-mode irc client if you would like some real time help. X is optional.

  7. #7
    I thank everyone for their help because it is working now.

    I tried reburning at 4x, but it still didn't work. However, this time, it was due to a burning error on my part.

    So, I reburned at 4x, and it's working fine now. Thanks again for your help. It looks great, and I can't wait to dive into this great OS.

    Until next time...



    Sincerely,
    Christopher David YUDICHAK

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    RIght on. Perhaps cheap media? I burn .iso images @ 16x all the time no worries. Well glad you got it working.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    FYI:
    I always do 8x on my old 8x CD-RW drive. Several months ago I got a new 48x at work but never got a good burn out of it. I never use CD-RW discs. I mostly use Memorex 700MB data CD-R discs (sometimes TDK data+audio). I buy them at the local Costco by the 100 count spindle for $28 + multicolor cases by the 100 count for $8. Works for me!

    Question:
    Anyone out there have experience burning mini CD-Rs (185 MB)? I wanted to try out DSL and Slax but I wonder how reliable these little discs are and if you can burn and boot them in a regular CD-R drive.

    TIA,
    AJG

  10. #10
    OK. Now the problem surfaces.

    Last night, when I reburned the ISO and tried to boot the KNOPPIX to test it, I ran it on my computer, in the CD burner.

    However, when I took the CD back to my brother's computer, the one that caused the problem before, I received the same problem as before.

    It reaches a point in the load where it says, "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0" It holds there for a few moments, then returns the "KNOPPIX filesystem" error. So, my immediate guess is that there's something wrong with the configuration of my brother's computer or, more likely, something wrong with using his CDROM drive.

    Any ideas?


    Sincerely,
    Christopher David YUDICHAK

    PS When I was using it last night on my computer, I absolutely loved it. I've used a few other distros over the past few weeks, but this one is very good, especially for a live boot from a CD. Thank you, everyone, for helping me use this great operating system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Some general questions
    By Wrincle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM
  2. Some general questions
    By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
  3. Bochs general Help Request
    By Tonka in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:16 AM
  4. general impressions
    By mikehallsted in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 03:55 AM
  5. General Linux problem
    By Rubicant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08