-
cannot find ethernet
[b]now keep in mind im new at this!!!!!! but i just burned knoppix onto cd and booted with no problem,but it will not find or reconize my dsl modem,and i dont know how to make it do so,any help would be greatly appreciated.... i have xp home,1-gig of ram, realtek rt8139fast ethernet card,amd athalon 1600..thnx beachbumtroy
-
Same for me.
I have the same problem when using the cd.
I have installed to hard drive. If you are installed on the hard drive, as su you have to type:
mii-tool -F 10baseT-HD eth0
Then for the first time you run pppoeconf. Follow the instructions for pppoeconf as per your isp.
The only problem I have is that you have to be su and run mii-tool every time followed by pon. I have tried to find a way around this.
Is there a way to use mii-tool on the cd? Is there a cheat code?
-
KNOPPIX as Hardware tester: realtek rt8139fast ethernet card
Hi All,
I am trying to get cable-internet without succes sofar. Unfortunately Windows 98 doesn't report any conflicts.
But...when I tried to start Knoppix, it totally froze in the startup stage were hardware testing is being carried out.
That was strange because Knoppix worked fine sofar.
I tried several possibilities to convince Knoppix that everything should be fine, but it just froze again and again.
Then I decided to take out my (new installed) ethernetcard, and YES, everything worked fine again.
From now on I will allways let KNOPPIX do the hardware testing.
Frits.
-
Senior Member
registered user
it will not find or reconize my dsl modem,and i dont know how to make it do so,
It may be that Knoppix isn't recognising your NIC or perhaps the network isn't coming up.
Boot the disk, open a shell (terminal window) and type this:
netcardconfig
See if that helps. You can also try this at the prompt:
ifup
-that's 'interface up', it should tell you if your network is up or not. Post back with results.
-
thnx for all that helped!!!!!!!!!!
rickenbacherus, ur answered solved the problem now its working great now all i have to do is get it to reconize the soundcard and im all set
thnx to all for the advice and eventhough im new at knoppix i love it! later troy
-
Senior Member
registered user
Glad to be of assistance. 
Open a term, (you may need to become root- I can't remember) and type this:
sndconfig
Post results of sndconfig if you need help.
Similar Threads
-
By ngtisu in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:13 PM
-
By Tharkun in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-22-2004, 12:05 AM
-
By djief in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
-
By Edgardo in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-17-2004, 01:23 AM
-
By ShadowHunter in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-12-2003, 04:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER
$349.99

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC
$1299.00

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter
$199.99