-
tecra 9100 and S3 supersavage graphic card
Hi,
I have been trying to setup knoppix on a toshiba laptop tecra 9100 for which the graphic card is a S3 SuperSavage/IXC 64 SDR.
Though all the functions I need work well ( not using wifi, added slmd module for winmodem) Up to now I was never able to use at its maximum having a centered screen bordered by large black bands or a to wide one using fb1024x768.
I recently found out using a Suse 9.0 cd Eval that the correct settings for xfree for this graphic card were
Section "Monitor"
HorizSync 31-48
...
VertRefresh 50-60
Modeline "1024x768" 62.35 1024 1056 1184 1312 768 772 776 792 -HSync -VSync
EndSection
The depth is 16
Those were given using the package xfree-server 4.3.99.902-40 ( maybe a suse specific version) as opposed to package xserver-xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1 for knoppix 3.4
savage_drv.o version 1.1.27 (the last one, just like knoppix 3.4)
I know monitor settings are given according to the ddcxinfo-knoppix program. But this modeline never appears giving a buggy one for the 1024x768 - 60 Hz setup, nor are the HorizSync, VertSync correct. Since I do not really know where ddcxinfo-knoppix gets its info from I do not know what is wrong
nevertheless, I thought I would share the information with you all
cheers
hud
-
Toshiba tecra XFree86 modes, again
> I have been trying to setup knoppix on a toshiba laptop
> tecra 9100 for which the graphic card is a S3
> SuperSavage/IXC 64 SDR.
I have a similar laptop and card. I have tried running knoppix
3.3 on this, and have been unable to get the 1024x768
resolution working - it falls back to 800x600. It seems that
ddcxinfo-knoppix is not reporting the 1024x768 modeline
even though that should be the default. Part of the output of
ddcxinfo-knoppix is the following:
# These are the DDC-probed settings reported by your monitor.
# 800x600, 72.0Hz; hfreq=48.08, vfreq=72.19
ModeLine "800x600" 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 + # 640x480, 75.0Hz; hfreq=37.50, vfreq=75.00
ModeLine "640x480" 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 - # Extended modelines with GTF timings
# 640x480 @ 100.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 50.90 kHz; pclk: 43.16 MHz
ModeLine "640x480" 43.16 640 680 744 848 480 481 484 509 -HSync +Vsync
...
The extended modelines include 1024x768@100Hz, which is not supported by the monitor and is deleted. But we want 1024x768@72Hz, which is not present in the DDC output,
and I dont know why.
I have identified an XF86Config file which works properly.
You might try patching this in and then saving the
configuration with "saveconfig". But ddcxinfo-knoppix
really needs to be fixed...
Cheers,
Peter
****
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file)
# Version vom 30.01.2002, for TOSHIBA Tecra 9100
Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "GLcore"
Load "bitmap"
Load "dbe"
Load "ddc"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "pex5"
Load "record"
Load "speedo"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
Load "xie"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Thinkpad Keyboard"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"
# Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# Option "XkbLayout" "uk"
Option "XkbDisable"
EndSection
#
# Uncomment this to use a Logitech USB mouse
#
#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Logitech PilotPlus"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# Option "Buttons" "5"
#EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Toshiba"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Savage S3"
Driver "savage"
VideoRam 16000
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "LCD"
HorizSync 30-70
VertRefresh 50-90
Option "DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Savage S3"
Monitor "LCD"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1152x864"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1152x864"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1152x864"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1152x864"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1152x864"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Thinkpad Keyboard"
InputDevice "Toshiba" "CorePointer"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
Similar Threads
-
By Roger Wilco in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 02:11 PM
-
By pablodc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By Legion in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 07:51 PM
-
By Zend_DV in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 01:42 PM
-
By Eraser in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro
$179.99

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D
$339.99

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM
$17.99

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter
$34.99