-
Junior Member
registered user
Just Installed Knoppix!
Hey! I'm a recent convert from Windows; after trying various other distros unsuccessfully (Gentoo/SusE- stupid YasT), I decided to stick with the distro that got me interested, KNOPPIX. I went with the Debian install (tried the other two also) and found that it was really fast, definetely on par with say a normal Windows install. I was really impressed by the fact that it didn't seem to carry so much luggage as the other distros I've used before did.
I just have a few questions:
1. Did most of the people here stick with Knoppix on the HD?
2. Do I treat Knoppix just like Debian?
3. Has anyone played around with WineX on Knoppix- does it run well?
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Just Installed Knoppix!

Originally Posted by
naventus
Hey! I'm a recent convert from Windows; after trying various other distros unsuccessfully (Gentoo/SusE- stupid YasT), I decided to stick with the distro that got me interested, KNOPPIX. I went with the Debian install (tried the other two also) and found that it was really fast, definetely on par with say a normal Windows install. I was really impressed by the fact that it didn't seem to carry so much luggage as the other distros I've used before did.
I just have a few questions:
1. Did most of the people here stick with Knoppix on the HD?
2. Do I treat Knoppix just like Debian?
3. Has anyone played around with WineX on Knoppix- does it run well?
Thanks!
Answers:
1 ) I came from v3.2, then v3.3, and am in a "holding" pattern for the install of v3.4 -=- so, I would say that, yes, I have come from the Live CD into a hard drive install of the same. I did the hard drive install of v3.3, v3.2 I got just before the release of 3.3, so I didn't start with the v3.2 as an install. IMHO, Knoppix is way better than anything I have seen, and thus, will continue with it till I am displeased. 
2 ) Knoppix, once installed to the hard drive, is Debian Unstable, with what I heard, v3.2 was Debian "Sid", not sure if that is the same now with v3.4
3 ) I have run Solitaire, does that count? I also am running Avery CD Label Maker software from within Wine, which is a horendously large beast of a program. Wine, imho, is good, especially since the other choice is to dedicate a "dual-boot" to the "other" OS just to run some "Windows" programs. Wine does good for what I need it for, so far... I am sure that Wine is not as good as the "real thing", but when you are running a system completely off Knoppix/Linux/Debian, it sure comes in handy.
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
almost debian
Well its almost debian..it still has a few hangovers from the livecd origins (a bit like we still have a tailbone) 90% of the time you wont notice it but 10% it can be a real pain when you accidentally sit on it.
it is possible to replace everything one by one but it takes a little care. I now use kanotix for HD installs becuase it has almost no liveCd baggage once installed ...
however the first thing i now do is edit the sources for apt and remove unstable ...
Similar Threads
-
By guicaste in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-12-2005, 01:30 AM
-
By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-24-2004, 08:50 AM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 10:25 PM
-
By Dr Snark in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-08-2003, 08:13 AM
-
By blahblahblah in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01