Have you tried booting with:
Code:knoppix alsa
Soundcard = Sound Blaster Audigy
When in any X Multimedia System (XMMS), it says
"Please Check That:
Your soundcard is configured properly
You have the correct output plugin selected
No other program is blocking the soundcard."
I tried running the autoconfiguring sound detector built in with Knoppix,
but for some reason is recognizes it as "Unknown Device|Unknown Vendor".
Any clue as to why I can't get any sound going?
Have you tried booting with:
Code:knoppix alsa
well, I also have an AGP problem, so I have to boot with "fb1280x1024".
How do I enter multiple commands from the boot sequence?
Do you know?
JooK,
Simply add the multiple cheatcodes on the same line...
Like this
boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa ... other cheatcodes...
My "usuall" boot prompt, back in v3.3 was like this...
boot: knoppix myconfig=scan home=scan screen=1024x768 vrefresh=60 noscsi nopcmcia noagp noapm
Now, who ever said that Linux was intuitive? ( or daunting to new users? ) - try adding all of that ( a new user that is ) every time you booted - yeah, right, I kept a "postie note" next to the computer to remember it all, cause if I didn't enter it all, I'd get a black screen when X started up.
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
But given the "myconfig=scan", aren't the other boot options "remembered" in the scanned file? So wouldn't that be the only boot option required for you (after your very first boot)?Originally Posted by Cuddles
Ooops, your right, my mistake...
Disrergard the myconfig and home scans from the prompt, I combined two of my old prompts together -=- accidently -=- sorry![]()
Ok, when the boot screen came up I put
boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa
however, the AGP boot command didn't apply,
because when it loaded the GUI everything was messed
up as it is without the command. when I put:
boot: fb1280x1024 alsa (without knoppix in the beginning)
the AGP worked since the GUI loaded up fine, but no sound.
Even when I try:
boot: alsa
it says "no such image drive 'alsa'", or something like that.
Anyone know what to do?
Remember, I HAVE to have fb1280x1024 work as well, or else I can't
operate the OS.
OK, so tryEven when I try:
boot: alsa
it says "no such image drive 'alsa'", or something like that.
knoppix alsa fb1280x1024
or even
knoppix alsa knoppix fb1280x1024
Some combination should/will work.
Ok Jook, lets try this systematically....Originally Posted by JooK
if you do this...
you can boot fine, but without sound, right?Code:boot: knoppix fb1280x1024
if you boot this:
you get a bad GUI, but do you get sound???Code:boot: knoppix alsa
So, you need the "fb1280x1024" for AGP issues, in that case, I would think the proper boot should be:
and if that command gives you a good GUI and still no sound, I would think that something is causing the "alsa" part not to work ( my guess ).Code:boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa
I have heard that ( sometimes ) some sound cards, or system configurations of hardware, get in the way of alsa running correctly. One is that you are not running ArtS sound server in addition to alsa, it competes with each other, the other is, yet another, cheatcode, that deactivates "known" issues with alsa, let me see what it is............... Darn it, I can't find it..... I think its noacpi -=- I remember it was almost a given "needed" command if alsa sound is not working, and in most cases, the inclusion of the command cheatcode worked....
You might try either the noacpi, or noapm, or a combination of both, with the above boot command, something like this:
I am going off memory here, I don't have my old lilo.conf "append" line anymore to cheat off of, so its my best guess here. I get confused with some of the cheatcodes, you have a acpi and a apic, but the apic isn't it, so I think the acpi is right. In fact, I am sure that this topic has been raised before within these forums, let me see what I can find........Code:boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa noacpi
Hmmmmmm, I found a topic on ALSA with apm & acpi support, appears that in this post, a contribution by Fabianx, that possibly the cheatcode has changed, from alsa to alsa=scan ???? So, from what I gather, you can try some of these cheatcode combinations:
You should also note, that alsa fires up your volume controls with zero and muted, so, the suggested command in a konsole window after booting is to run aumix 75 -=- or fire off alsamixer and ensure that your volumes and mutes are set properly...Code:boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa noacpi or boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa noapm or boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa noacpi noapm or boot: knoppix fb1280x1024 alsa=scan
Here is the search results I found using alsa in the box above labeled Search Knoppix.net:
http://www.google.com/search?q=alsa%20site:knoppix.net
and the topic I pulled from:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48967
and the topic I got the quote from Fabianx from:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7336
I hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
Oh man! I tried EVERYTHING. NOTHING works.
For some reason, using:
will simply not work.Code:boot: knoppix ANYcommandHERE
How do I know this? When I use:
The GUI loads all messed up, as if the code was never entered.Code:boot: knoppix fb 1280x1024
This is really wierd. I have the NEWEST Knoppix (3.4, it was the newest last week).
However, when Knoppix is booted with:
(without the knoppix before the code), the AGP works loads fine.Code:boot: fb1280x1024
when using:
it replies with: "alsa" image not found (or something like that)Code:boot: alsa noacpi fb1280x1024
And as for one of you who asked:
When I boot with:
The GUI loads fine and clear, but still no sound.Code:boot: fb1280x1024 alsa
ANYONE have ANY clue as to what is going on?

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99
CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available
$97.49
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New
$399.99
Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00