-
Junior Member
registered user
New=help
Hi all, I just installed Knoppix a couple days ago. I have a few questions:
1. How do I automount my CD / hard drives?
2. How can I make my synaptics touchpad actually work like a touchpad?
3. How do I compile the kernel- would this make my CD drive work if it can't mount?
Thx in advance for the help
-
Senior Member
registered user
Maybe this helps w/ the touchpad:
http://compass.com/synaptics/
I *think* support is now in the kernel so you just have to configure it but I may be waaaay off base as I've never even seen one of em let alone configured one.
Dunno about automount (don't like that at all) but recompiling a kernel is a piece of cake if you do it the Debian way. Here's a link although even this is more effort than is really required:
http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm
I prefer to get my source from kernel.org. Put it in /usr/src
tar xvfj kernel-source-2.6.7.tar.bz2
ln -sf kernel-source-2.6.7 linux
cd linux
make menuconfig
make-kpkg buildpackage -rev your.version kernel_image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.7_your.version_i386.deb
It also create headers and docs which can be installed w/ dpkg. If you need to restart definitely DO NOT follow the directions in the link I posted just start again but do not specify a version. Of course you'll need to move /lib/modules out of the way to install your remade kernel.
There is no need to update grub as it is done automatically. Dunno about lilo. *hint* get grub.
If you have nvidia forget the nvidia driver instructions there and use Kano's script instead.
I presume you are aware you can mount your drives by hand?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5" SSD Laptop XBOX PS3 PC
$119.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99