Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: New=help

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10

    New=help

    Hi all, I just installed Knoppix a couple days ago. I have a few questions:

    1. How do I automount my CD / hard drives?
    2. How can I make my synaptics touchpad actually work like a touchpad?
    3. How do I compile the kernel- would this make my CD drive work if it can't mount?

    Thx in advance for the help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Maybe this helps w/ the touchpad:
    http://compass.com/synaptics/

    I *think* support is now in the kernel so you just have to configure it but I may be waaaay off base as I've never even seen one of em let alone configured one.

    Dunno about automount (don't like that at all) but recompiling a kernel is a piece of cake if you do it the Debian way. Here's a link although even this is more effort than is really required:
    http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

    I prefer to get my source from kernel.org. Put it in /usr/src
    tar xvfj kernel-source-2.6.7.tar.bz2
    ln -sf kernel-source-2.6.7 linux
    cd linux
    make menuconfig
    make-kpkg buildpackage -rev your.version kernel_image
    cd ..
    dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.7_your.version_i386.deb

    It also create headers and docs which can be installed w/ dpkg. If you need to restart definitely DO NOT follow the directions in the link I posted just start again but do not specify a version. Of course you'll need to move /lib/modules out of the way to install your remade kernel.

    There is no need to update grub as it is done automatically. Dunno about lilo. *hint* get grub.

    If you have nvidia forget the nvidia driver instructions there and use Kano's script instead.

    I presume you are aware you can mount your drives by hand?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD

$279.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50