-
Junior Member
registered user
boot loader from a boot cd
I installed KNOPPIX on separate partition. Since I did not installed lilo or grub to the mbr I start KNOPPIX on a boot floppy. I was wondering If i could boot into linux from the cd or create a bootable cd with the boot files from a boot floppy.But I don't know how. Any idea ?
-
I'm wondering why you need a bootable CD if you already have a boot floppy. If you really want a bootable CD and have a boot floppy, use your favorite CD writing program and copy the content of the floppy to the CD. It's easy to install bootloader to your Linux partition. Login as root and run /sbin/lilo and follow the prompts. After that you can create a bootloader file like this;
dd if=/dev/hdX count=1 bs=512 of=knoppix.bin. (Replace X with your specific partition letter and number, scuh as hda5) Copy output of this which is knoppix.bin to a floppy.
If you have Windows NT or 2000, add the above file to the C:\ and edit boot.ini file. C:\knoppix.bin="Knoppix Linux"
When you reboot your machine you will see a menu to choose from.
mag
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok, I just don't want install lilo or grub on my HD, and about making a cd it's just for speed up the boot process . Copy floppy files to cd and burn doesn't work I try that before, that's the reason I posted my question!
-
Have no clue on how to make a boot floppy
The docs are unclear on how to make a boot floopy.. I ran the program that it says to run, but have no idea on what to do with it.....
is there some kind of dat file I can get somewhere to boot from a floppy? In other words, don't have a clue !
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Have no clue on how to make a boot floppy

Originally Posted by
guest 200
The docs are unclear on how to make a boot floopy.. I ran the program that it says to run, but have no idea on what to do with it.....
is there some kind of dat file I can get somewhere to boot from a floppy? In other words, don't have a clue !
The file is called boot-en.img and is in the KNOPPIX directory. If you are in windows, you can use the program rawwrite ( included on the cd )to write it. There should be a rawrite readme.
-
still not a clue....
Well it does not say what to so with the program.. the doc file just explains it... no more no less.....I run it and what do I type in after it?
-
boot floppy
I believe there is a file <mkfloppy.bat> next to <rawrite2.exe>. Run that. I think <rawrite2> is a windows program only, but not sure. You might want to copy the <rawrite2>, <mkfloppy.bat> and (boot-en.img) file to a windows machine. Edit the <mkfloppy.bat> to change the word (boot.img) to (boot-en.img) to make sure you get an English version at boot. I think the line orginal reads: rawrite2 -f boot.img -d A
the (-f) indicates the file to use <boot.img>. The (-d) chooses a drive to write to <Floppy drive A>. On Windows Nt I found it necessary to specify file images with DOS NAMES (8 characters or less) and no more than 3 character file extentions ie. (.IMG). Or <rawrite2> complains it can't find the file. I don't think it cares if the file is labeled (.IMG) or not. It just reads it and writes the contents to the Floppy as OS independent RAW data. Use a newly formatted clean Floppy to ensure results.
You can open a DOS prompt (CMD.exe) window and type:rawrite2.exe -h to see the parameter options as I shown above.
-
Junior Member
Missing something in the Boot proceedure.
I used the MTKfloppy.bat it autmatically ran to create a boot floppy.
But after trying that, it seemed to boot up with a Knoppix screen.
then it ended with a message boot failed.
I must be missing something, one or more of the automatic things to experienced users, that they never think need mention.\
I had no success with the booting from CD, I unpacked the file and copied it to disk successfully.
Was there something else I should also have done?
I am totally new to Linux, I am still useing '98SE
I have changed my BIOS to boot to CD or Floppy whichever I am trying.
I have a choice of 3 bootup selections, if the first fails it moves to the second, then third.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Creating bootable CD-ROMs from a floppy image
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...O/cd-roms.html
I have used these instructions in the past and was always successful in making a CD from a floppy disk image .mainly I did this because booting from CD is inherently faster then booting from a floppy.
-
Junior Member
Ambiguous meaning
I have worked it out, my CD now works fine and the boot floppy to.
I was confused by the exact meaning in some of the terminology used in the instructions.
Not being ofay with burners and software used. I had thought that copying the ISO file would produce an image on the CD. Wrong!
Image in terms of the CD burning is not a copy.
The image referred in this case is contained within the ISO.
The software has in its menu a selection called burn image.
Simple but not obvious to newbies.
Different people & purposes so frequently use the same words to have their own meanings, confusing and misleading unless you are on the same wave length.
I hope this helps some other newbie out there.
Similar Threads
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By /dash in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:39 PM
-
By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM
-
By Loper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 02:38 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5ββ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

HP ProLiant 460 Series G7 Blade 2x Xeon E5649 2.53Ghz w/ 16Gb DR3, No HD, QTY
$74.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60