-
Making kdm appear by default on login
Hello everyone - long time lurker and knoppix writer, new contributor/question asker...
Anyway,
I have nearly gone crazy and exhausted all sources of info for this one. I have two versions of knoppix KDE that I have been modifying. One version boots to the kdm login screen and the other logs in to the desktop as per usual. I simply CANNOT figure out exactly where the diffrence lies. I have a new build and I want to make the login via kdm rather than just logging in to the desktop, but I cannot figure out how. Any ideas? I'm going crazy with this.
I looked at init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, inittab, etc. to no avail.
Thanks a MILLION to anyone who can help.
Clint [/b]
-
No one has any answers?
I find it hard to believe that no one has encountered a need/desire to try have the gui kdm logon. Anyway, if you have any ideas, please let me know where I can change this. I thought about changing the last line in inittab from xsession start to kdm -nodaemon or something the like. Any ideas?
Clint
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well, I'm waiting on a new LAN to be installed at my school. At that point I will run knx-hdinstall to install KNOPPIX to the hard-disks and set up a server everyone logs-in to via KDM.
I'm not clear how you would set up such a network with only CDs?
Regards,
-
running kdm
Hopefully giving an explanation for why I need the function will make the request just, thus spur replies. I am making an edition for doing non-intrusive searches of suspect computer systems in a law enforcement capacity. I would like to be able to have the clean login screen appear and give the user (investigator) different login environments depending on the different situations. I know how to accomplish this if I am doing a hard drive install of knoppix - then it becomes trivial. The hard part is trying to get this done on the cd boot. That said, as my original post indicated, I HAVE made one version and through I know not by what means, the CD boots to kdm. I can't see why it does in order to replicate it.
Clint
-
kdm (or gdm, or xdm) is normally started via /etc/inittab in run level 5. In Knoppix, run level 5 runs "startx" as knoppix instead.
To get a proper kdm environment, you'd have to configure kdm (obviously) then change the inittab to reflect what you want.
You can use the boot process to run a knoppix.sh script on the floppy drive (and with 3.2, perhaps on a hard drive or USB drive?). This script could use rsync with the backup options to copy the new /etc/inittab into place, then change runlevels. Seems pretty brutal, but it would work.
The reason it has to be brutal (in some way or other) is because /etc/init is the first job created by the kernel, and then run. Once it is running, changing the contents of /etc/inittab are not reflected by init.
Changing the init level would be:
init 4
...or whatever you choose. You could also re-use run level 5 and just make sure that the startx process initially started by runlevel 5 doesn't exit cleanly (otherwise, it'll reboot!).
Now that I think about it.... when knoppix.sh runs, startx has not yet started: changing /etc/inittab and telling init to reload init 5 just might work:
telinit q
Not sure. Try it (or I will)
-
Where is the magic point of divergence though?
Exactly where is the divergence point during boot when the system would say "execute kdm" rather than "execute startx" I have looked everywhere. Man - this shouldn't be this hard...
-
Re: Where is the magic point of divergence though?

Originally Posted by
clintonian
Exactly where is the divergence point during boot when the system would say "execute kdm" rather than "execute startx" I have looked everywhere. Man - this shouldn't be this hard...
No it shouldn't...

Originally Posted by
I
kdm (or gdm, or xdm) is normally started via /etc/inittab in run level 5.
So, translating even further:
1. Do a "man inittab" and read the manual page ("manpage") of inittab and its format. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that "man kdm" will be of any use - it should be, but it isn't (kdm is undocumented - sigh)...
2. Open /etc/inittab in your favorite editor (I use vi - and proudly, too!).
3. Edit the line which is run for run level 5 and which runs startx.
4. Change this line (which runs startx) to run kdm instead. It looks as if kdm should take a "-nodaemon" option; I'd recommend using it - it's probably needed.
After having done this, if you want this preserved for use with a CDROM distribution, then you need to either burn a new CD with this new configuration or save the configuration somewhere so that it can be loaded during boot.
-
editing /etc/inittab
thanks for the info. as soon as I get a chance, I will test it out. It is the last line in the script and it says something like:
"blah blah.. xsession start"
I'm not where I can see the line right now... anyway, this is where I take it I change to something like:
/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon?
Thanks for your assistance - I'll give it a shot asap.
Clint
Similar Threads
-
By majo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
-
By jeremymeindl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 01:06 AM
-
By psoleko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 10:40 PM
-
By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
-
By gmwest5 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good
$649.00

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00