-
Junior Member
registered user
Help with 2.6.6 and Nvidia Drivers
As I am pretty much a newb, I've had a lot of troubles in trying to get this set up. I've gone through all the posts regarding Nvidia drivers, the most applicable being http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...304&highlight=, but I still can't figure out how to do it. The link I just pasted has a lot of vague references and jumps that I can't follow.
I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to fix-up or post another quick set of installation steps. Thanks ALOT in advance!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yeah they kind of did it the hard way eh?
Try this:
su
wget http://kanotix.com/files/install-ker...rce-vanilla.sh
wget http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-5336-debian.sh
chmod +x install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh
chmod +x install-nvidia-5336-debian.sh
./install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh
./install-nvidia-5336-debian.sh
You may need to use a different nvidia installer. For example the 5336 version doesn't get along well w/ my nforce1 mobo. They can be found @ kanotix.com/files
-
Junior Member
registered user
Are you
Are you sure that this works for 2.6.6 kernel? What is the vanilla-kernel file that you are suggesting that I download? Is that the 2.4.25 kernel? Do I have to modify the XF86 file as well afterwards?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Just decided to reformat the above questions:
1) Are these for 2.6.6 kernel?
2) Are you using the installed or an updated to 2.6.6?
3) Did you use the beginner or debian install option?
Unfortunately, it doesn't work...:
"(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 0.1.0
ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD8000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xE4000000
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found
When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to [email protected]."
Please halp.
-
Hi Naventus,
Here's a link to a post I made a while back;
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...4f7083a3639b31
As you can see another member, Shah, posted a very good way of doing the job. I used a similar but not as clean method. (I'm a Linux newbie).
Hope this helps
Jim
-
Junior Member
registered user
Help still
I've done everything, but it has a problem at this point:
Code:
:/linux# patch -p1 <../knoppix-kernel26.patch
bash: ../knoppix-kernel26.patch: No such file or directory
How do I deal with that? If this is relevant: I installed Knoppix beginner and am using the 2.6.6 kernel from the lilo menu...
-
Junior Member
registered user
And furthermore
When I attempted to skip ahead and ignore that error, make doesn't work:
Code:
make
for i in source image headers doc; do mkdir -p /usr/src/linux/debian/tmp-$i; sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=1G tmpfs /usr/src/linux/debian/tmp-$i; done
sudo mount -t tmpfs tmpfs
Usage: mount -V : print version
mount -h : print this help
mount : list mounted filesystems
mount -l : idem, including volume labels
So far the informational part. Next the mounting.
The command is `mount [-t fstype] something somewhere'.
Details found in /etc/fstab may be omitted.
mount -a [-t|-O] ... : mount all stuff from /etc/fstab
mount device : mount device at the known place
mount directory : mount known device here
mount -t type dev dir : ordinary mount command
Note that one does not really mount a device, one mounts
a filesystem (of the given type) found on the device.
One can also mount an already visible directory tree elsewhere:
mount --bind olddir newdir
or move a subtree:
mount --move olddir newdir
A device can be given by name, say /dev/hda1 or /dev/cdrom,
or by label, using -L label or by uuid, using -U uuid .
Other options: [-nfFrsvw] [-o options] [-p num].
For many more details, say man 8 mount .
make: [all] Error 1 (ignored)
cd /usr/src/linux && fakeroot make-kpkg --us --uc --rootcmd fakeroot binary modules
We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
tree. Since we are trying to make a kernel package, that does not make
sense. Please change directory to a top level linux kernel source
directory, and try again. (If I am wrong, and this is indeed a top
level linux kernel source directory, then I have gotten sadly out of
date with current kernels, and you should upgrade kernel-package)
make: *** [all] Error 1
-
Junior Member
registered user
Never mind, I just fixed it up and got it work- thanks soooo much:
How is a FPS of 1560ish in glxgears on a Geforce MX200 PCI 32MB?
-
There's a good kernel 2.6 compile how to with nvidia instructions at the bottom of the page:
http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm
Similar Threads
-
By Rivendell in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-11-2005, 07:18 PM
-
By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
-
By Malo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
-
By slc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM
-
By evilgeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot
$1082.99

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99