Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: restoring power after boot to centrino wireless card

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2

    restoring power after boot to centrino wireless card


    I've checked the FAQ's, read the documentation, searched the heck out of Google, and called tech support from my computer manfacturer (who hung up when they found out it was a Linux ssue) - so if I've missed the blindingly obvious answer, please take pity and show me.....

    Not sure if this is a hardware or networking issue, so I'm putting it here.

    I'm running an Averatech 5110H laptop w/ Centrino wireless. 3.4 recognizes all the hardware and I have been able to configure it all based on all the great posts in the networking forum. I believe it will work - IF I can figure out how to get power to the wireless network card. There's some kind of setting somewhere between bios and windows that makes the wireless power down. When windows comes up, it powers the wireless back up. When I do a restart from windows to boot using the knpx CD, the wireless power stays on - until the proprietary boot screen flashes just prior to the knpx screen, and then the wireless card powers down and I don't know how to turn it back on from knpx. Can't find any boot cheatcodes to cover this one. This laptop has a proprietary button system that allows a user to manually turn on/off the wireless card; only problem is that the buttons are controlled by a program that loads at windows startup - so I can't just press the button to turn it on in knpx. There has got to be a simple answer for this, but it is hiding from me pretty well.....

    If anyone has ideas, please share 'cuz I'm fresh out.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    adjt8r,

    When you said you contacted Tech Support for your manufacturer, was that the same one who created that little "program" that is controlling the device in Windows? If not, you might try hitting up the developer of the program, to possibly, see if they may be able to "port" it to Linux, or maybe, a Linux programmer can get ahold of the source for that program, if the developer would be open to releasing it as "open source".

    I know, I know, the odds of a company giving away that "proprietary" privied information, is more along the lines of having the "second coming of God" as far as betting is concerned, but, its worth a try.

    Sorry, if I don't have that much background on your situation, I've never worked on the hardware you speak of, probably never seen it either, but, I can maybe help in some avenues of research, at least.

    Hopefully, this helps, a little,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    thanks, I'll send them an email and see what they say. Like you said, It's worth a shot.

Similar Threads

  1. How to start Wireless card on boot
    By sd5867 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 06:09 AM
  2. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 07:18 PM
  4. IBM R40 (Centrino) and wireless issue
    By manx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 06:22 PM
  5. Wireless with Intel Centrino (2100) & Knoppix 3.4
    By headshot_001 in forum Networking
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1785.15



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.60



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



APPLE MacBook Pro A2485 2021 16

APPLE MacBook Pro A2485 2021 16" M1 Pro 32GB 1TB SSD Gray Tahoe -Good

$899.99



Samsung 990 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD New and Sealed picture

Samsung 990 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD New and Sealed

$165.00