-
Senior Member
registered user
Nevermind, it worked flawlessly - pardon some of my "never done a kernel compile" issues...
I do have one question though, considering you did it, and the "cleanness" of your LILO, you must have the answer...
Following through your steps, word for word, and step for step... I kept waiting for a "cp" command to copy the new compiled kernel to the /boot area, or something... and found that, I guess, I compiled "directly" into my "working" booted kernel, right???
I mean, when you compile a program, it gets created where you are compiling, and when it becomes executable, you move it to where it should be, this appears not to be the case with a kernel compile ( I'm lost )
Here is what I did: (for fear of messing something more up during this)
cd /boot
cp config-2.6.6 config-2.6.6pre
cp initrd.img-2.6.6 initrd.img-2.6.6
cp vmlinuz-2.6.6 vmlinuz-2.6.6
added a "duplicate" entry in lilo.conf to point to the 2.6.6pre - and booted under the "...pre" lilo setup...
I then did all the steps you had on your initial post here...
What can I do now? Do I need the ...pre, can I just go back to the 2.6.6 in LILO, or should I rename the 2.6.6pre files back to the 2.6.6 and boot those? Right now, I am booting the 2.6.6pre in LILO thinking that these were the files that the "compile" was done under, can someone give me a clue what I did, or where my "kernel" is, what is my LILO?
Here is what my /boot area looks like, maybe you can figure out from that???
Code:
root@Morpheus:/boot# ls -l
total 17484
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 2 08:01 System.map -> System.map-2.4.26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 582790 Apr 17 13:59 System.map-2.4.26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 758043 May 14 14:39 System.map-2.6.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 758043 Jul 5 19:56 System.map-2.6.6pre
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jul 2 08:28 boot.0200
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jul 2 08:27 boot.0300
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jul 2 08:27 boot.1600
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42923 Apr 17 13:33 config-2.4.26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53510 May 14 14:37 config-2.6.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53510 Jul 5 19:56 config-2.6.6pre
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Jul 2 08:01 debian.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Jul 2 08:01 debianlilo.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debianlilo.bmp
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 2 08:27 grub
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 2 08:27 initrd.img -> initrd.img-2.4.26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3455157 Jul 2 08:27 initrd.img-2.4.26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4062664 Jul 2 08:27 initrd.img-2.6.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4062664 Jul 5 19:57 initrd.img-2.6.6pre
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jul 2 08:27 knoppix-old-mbr.2004-07-02
-rw------- 1 root root 240128 Jul 5 20:05 map
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jul 2 08:01 sarge.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sarge.bmp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jul 2 08:01 sid.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sid.bmp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jul 2 08:27 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 994807 Apr 17 13:59 vmlinuz-2.4.26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1370454 May 14 14:39 vmlinuz-2.6.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1370454 Jul 5 19:58 vmlinuz-2.6.6pre
root@Morpheus:/boot#
Thanks for any help on the "clean-up" after getting my NVidia working perfectly
Similar Threads
-
By nlight40 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
-
By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 22
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 07:07 PM
-
By kelmo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-09-2004, 09:20 AM
-
By ill in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 13
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:34 PM
-
By slc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99