Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 3 easy questions and a strange one.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111

    3 easy questions and a strange one.

    Hi there, I been using knoppix for quite some time now and I really love it as its
    so powerfull but there is still so much to learn.

    (its a hd-install)

    Q1)
    When I leave my system to go to lunch, the system closes everything and
    I have to log in again??

    Even if I have a editor open with non-saved data, it will close it...
    And I lose my work..! I know I could just save
    but since it has never crashed on me I kinda trust it.
    Seems to be some sort of timeout, but I cannot find any settings that controls this.

    Any ideas? I want to turn it off.
    One strange thing in this context. When I have been autologed-off
    my mouse scroll button no longer works.?
    I have to log off and restart xserver.


    Q2)
    Can I script cfdisk or other tool to automate the creation of partitions?
    Perhaps Im still too newbee to understand the man pages completely.
    I want to have a script that creates the partitions and install knoppix.

    Q3)
    How do I uninstall things?
    Say I wanted to strip my knoppix a bit by uninstalling not used software.
    So a partimage file would get smaller.
    I am not quite sure what tool, I would use. Perhaps some deb tool.
    Maybe I should not be looking for something saying Add/remove programs...

    Q4)
    I have a harddisk with knoppix on. It was installed on a singledisk system.
    Now I want to use it as hd2 on the slave controller. The first disk is a xp system.
    I know I have to tell it that its no longer hda and change where it boots from,
    but I am clueless what files that involves and if I should use lilo for it.
    I dont need dualboot ie a menu since I just can choose the hd to boot from so I just
    need to make knoppix understand that its now on the slave controller and not the maindisk anymore.

    Thanks for your patience with people like me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Hmm. I found answer to scripting cfdisk.

    Apprently I can write something like:

    sfdisk /dev/hdc << EOF
    0,407
    ,407
    ;
    ;
    EOF

    Sadly it still leaves me a bit clueless as start-end track or whatever the params are really
    Ehh? to me. I had kinda hoped on some size param. Maybe I can create it manually and get it to create such nice looking file with that setup??

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Several easy questions -- help
    By ricesteam in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 05:34 PM
  2. Easy way to fix your cd-dvd drives
    By Romkillah in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
  3. Wow! That was EASY!!!
    By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
  4. Easy HD-install
    By arolas in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:01 AM
  5. how easy is it to do?
    By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$70.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21



NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance picture

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance

$29.99