Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: New=help

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10

    New=help

    Hi all, I just installed Knoppix a couple days ago. I have a few questions:

    1. How do I automount my CD / hard drives?
    2. How can I make my synaptics touchpad actually work like a touchpad?
    3. How do I compile the kernel- would this make my CD drive work if it can't mount?

    Thx in advance for the help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Maybe this helps w/ the touchpad:
    http://compass.com/synaptics/

    I *think* support is now in the kernel so you just have to configure it but I may be waaaay off base as I've never even seen one of em let alone configured one.

    Dunno about automount (don't like that at all) but recompiling a kernel is a piece of cake if you do it the Debian way. Here's a link although even this is more effort than is really required:
    http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

    I prefer to get my source from kernel.org. Put it in /usr/src
    tar xvfj kernel-source-2.6.7.tar.bz2
    ln -sf kernel-source-2.6.7 linux
    cd linux
    make menuconfig
    make-kpkg buildpackage -rev your.version kernel_image
    cd ..
    dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.7_your.version_i386.deb

    It also create headers and docs which can be installed w/ dpkg. If you need to restart definitely DO NOT follow the directions in the link I posted just start again but do not specify a version. Of course you'll need to move /lib/modules out of the way to install your remade kernel.

    There is no need to update grub as it is done automatically. Dunno about lilo. *hint* get grub.

    If you have nvidia forget the nvidia driver instructions there and use Kano's script instead.

    I presume you are aware you can mount your drives by hand?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N picture

SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N

$90.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00