-
Higher screen resolution?
I recently installed Knoppix, (successfully), on to my hard disk and have no problems except that my screen resolution is limited to 1024x768, whereas the 'native' resolution for my monitor, (Hyundai ImageQuest 17"), is 1280x1024. I have tried configuration from the desktop and also the [ xrandr ] command but in both cases 1024x768 is the highest resolution offered. As a newbie, I have almost no idea what I need to do to remedy this.
Any clues?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Higher screen resolution?

Originally Posted by
nikkkko
I recently installed Knoppix, (successfully), on to my hard disk and have no problems except that my screen resolution is limited to 1024x768, whereas the 'native' resolution for my monitor, (Hyundai ImageQuest 17"), is 1280x1024. I have tried configuration from the desktop and also the [ xrandr ] command but in both cases 1024x768 is the highest resolution offered. As a newbie, I have almost no idea what I need to do to remedy this.
Any clues?
Thanks
As record reminds me, your monitor is the last thing in the string, whereas, Knoppix, or for that matter, any OS, is the first. What falls between these two things is your video card, which can have a multituide of things that could be keeping your resolution down... From what your saying, your video card must have been able to do this resolution before, but at what color depth? Possibly the card doesn't have enough memory to handle what Knoppix wants it to have, and thus, it down-grades to a lower resolution? Not exactly sure what your resolve is, you might take a look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, I think that is where all monitor settings for what Knoppix "thinks" your hardware can handle...
Not the greatest reply to your issue, but at least it is something,
Ms. Cuddles
-
I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish this, however, this is what did it for me. Open a root shell (from the Knoppix menu) and type in kxconfig and press enter, you should see an option for screen resolution. After selecting the correct resolution, quit and save configuration. From the same root shell type restartx and press enter.
-
Open a root shell (from the Knoppix menu) and type in kxconfig, you should see an option for screen resolution. After selecting the correct resolution, quit and save configuration.
It's very satisfying when you get a quick, clear and effective response to a question. The solution above worked first time no problems and I am now looking at a crisp, colourful and higher resolution screen than before.
Thank you DuckDodgers.
Similar Threads
-
By clarjon1 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-30-2005, 12:31 AM
-
By Darcian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 02:02 AM
-
By gamezealot in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:18 AM
-
By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-31-2004, 10:18 AM
-
By Patrick21 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 1988 Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119 Logic, Analog & PSU Recapped
$850.00

🔥 Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS �
$309.00

Vintage 2000 MICROSOFT Intellimouse Explorer Optical Technology - Original Box
$59.99

Vintage computer AMD K6-2 300 MHz 96 MB ram No HDD/No OS
$79.99

Lot 4 untested Vintage Motherboard 2 IBM 1 NCR AND 1 8086
$150.00

Toshiba Satellite 4005CDT Vintage Laptop Tested Works - Manuals & Charger
$399.99

2004 HHKB Pro 1 PD-KB300 PFU Keyboard US Topre RARE Vintage READ DESCRIPTION
$370.00

Vintage RAM Lot DDR SDRAM Mixed Memory PC2100 PC133 Kingston Centon Untested
$55.00

Peripheral Vision VINTAGE EDUMATE LIGHT PEN Atati 800/400 & COMMODORE 64 Unteste
$79.90

Vintage 486 VLB Motherboard Combo AMD Am486 DX4-120 SiS 85C471 AMI BIOS SIMM
$149.00