-
I cant read my windows shareI
I mounted my hda1 under root
but I cant read it under user
thanks
-
Automount on boot
I have the same problem. I have it set to automount on boot and root can browse through the fat32 drive, but the user can't. I have to unmount the drive and remount as a user to be able to use the partition while being a user.
Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks
-
First, login as root and create a group with any name you like. For examle:
addgroup windows
Then edit your /etc/fstab as root and change your windows partition
from:
/dev/hda1 /windows vfat defaults 0 0
to:
/dev/hda1 /windows vfat defaults,gid=windows,umask=002 0 0
This change will take effect on the next reboot.
Now, you have to add user to group as for example:
adduser mag windows (I just added myself). This will work.
Please replace user name, windows partition name and group name for your case.
mag
-
confused
are we talking about the same linux distro?
I am not
finding add users any where
-
Thanks. I will try it and see if it works.
It is strange that it doesn't work with the generic settings though.
-
The instructions are distro independent. So if you want to find the adduser command from shell, enter "which adduser" without quotes. you should have that adduser command. Are you doing this while running from CD? Either way it should work.
The commands that you have to use are as follows:
adduser yourusername (adds user)
addgroup yourgroupname (adds group)
adduser yourusername yourgroupname (adds user to the group)
mag
-
didnt work 
```````````````````````````````````````````````
Upon further tweaking
add a directory in /mnt named windows /mnt/windows ex.
and edit fstab to
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat defaults,gid=windows,umask=002 0 0
works!!!!
on to my next problem
Similar Threads
-
By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
-
By fordfasterr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 02:27 PM
-
By Macrob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By blt975 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HPE 10/25GbE 2Port SFP28 Intel E810 OCP3 Network Adapter NIC 2 Port 10G 25G 25GE
$609.00

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR
$47.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99