Thanks for the Most Excellent Effort, my furryfren.

Here's a thought: Windows can be counted on to act as though it's the only OS in the world, so when it installs it simply overwrites whatever bootloader is in the boot partition with its own bootloader. If you reverse the order of your dual-boot installation -- installing Windows first then Knoppix (you can use Windows' partitoning program to create a partition for the Windows, leaving the rest of the HD unused, then use the partitioning program in Knoppix to create a partition from the unused space when you install Knoppix) -- you can eliminate the need to reinstall LILO since it will be installed by the Knoppix installation program. I think. I haven't installed Knoppix yet, but I have installed Mandrake Linux on three machines that already had Windows on them, one with WinMe and two with W2KPro, and that's how the Mandrake installation program worked. Flawlessly, I might add. The first time I did it I had to figure out how to configure LILO but Mandrake provides a GUI for the purpose.