Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Reassigning mouse button function

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67

    Reassigning mouse button function

    This is probably a generic Linux question but I can't find the answer anywhere (I've tried google, #knoppix on freenode) so would appreciate some help.
    I have a Compaq wireless optical mouse with a scroll wheel which is also a push button currently bound to the Paste function (I believe that it's a more-or-less standard 5-button mouse). This button is rather sensitive and I'd like to change its binding so that it does nothing. It gets rather annoying when I'm using Kate for example and having done a cut/paste (using ^V) from one place to another and I then rapidly scroll through the text only to have the scroll button click and end up pasting what I previously copied into some random place in my code. So I just want that button to do nothing - which is what it does in Windows.
    XFMouse doesn't appear to be able to do this and I've also played with xmodmap but the only docs I can find about it show how to swap the order in which the buttons are interpreted - such as flipping them for a left handed user.
    How do I fix it so that the scroll button doesn't nothing at all and the other buttons stay as they are?

    Best Wishes
    Pete

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Hey, did you ever get this solved?

    I have the same problem with pasting where I didn't intend.

    I found that I can run xmodmap -e "pointer 1 9 3 4 5" and the wheel button no longer functions (ya!).

    I haven't figured out how to make this configuration active at boot time. Probono wrote in another post that you can put things in your knoppix.sh. I don't have that file anywhere on my HD install. I created a knoppix.sh file in my home directory with the xmodmap command in it but that didn't work. I also tried putting the argument in a .xmodmaprc file in my home directory and in the root directory. No good. Any ideas?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Try this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...143&highlight=

    Might need to some other research to fix, but this is a good start.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to get wireless to function :(
    By harryhood in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 07:11 PM
  2. 2 button wheel mouse help
    By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 07:20 PM
  3. Need Help setting up 5 button mouse.
    By robwelch100 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 01:45 AM
  4. Mouse Left-button pb
    By joeguitar99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller picture

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller

$499.99