Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: sound issues with onboard sound chip

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    sound issues with onboard sound chip

    Hi everyone ! I just finished building a new pc... I tried all linux distros ( well...most of em ) and I think like many people that knoppix is just fantastic ! now... I need some help. I'm using a asus p4s800-mx motherboard. Knoppix configures easily my ethernet onboard card but my intel onboard sound chip is not working but is detected. I tried several boot options like knoppix alsa etc... I usually boot with kernel 2.6. what can I do to get the sound working ? I saw somewhere that these motherboards are supposed to be fully linux compatible. Then I guess it is just a matter of some small configuration options or file editing... can anyone help please ?
    I'll be glad to provide any information on configuration files or hardware. Thanks !

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    35
    You need AC97 support enabled in alsa. This driver can handle your sound chip (AD188. Maybe you need the latest 2.6.7 kernel.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Griswold IA USA
    Posts
    3
    I also have the ASUS p4s800 board. I did not hear system sounds when I logged in as a normal user but when I logged in as root I did. As a normal user I could go into the sound control center and test sound and it would work.

    I fixed the problem by modifying the file .kde/share/config/knotifyrc
    [StartProgress]
    Arts Init=true
    KNotify Init=true
    Use Arts=true

    See this thread for more detail http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...highlight=arts
    Hope this helps.
    Larry

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I am not sure about this, but, ellisol - what you suggest is using the OSS sound support... If, on the other hand, frank34 wants ALSA sound support, this isn't the right direction... But rather, 180 degrees from that direction they want to go.

    OSS is by far, the easier of the two to get going... Whereas, ALSA, can be a little more work...

    Not sure frank34, did you want the ALSA sound support working, or just "any" sound support, or OSS sound support ???

    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
    By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
  2. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  3. onboard sound issue
    By wikked in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 02:09 PM
  4. onboard sound/network
    By laffer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 08:35 PM
  5. Sound issues with old SB16 and via onboard
    By Onetrack in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 04:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$275.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$48.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET picture

Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET

$69.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4 picture

1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4

$59.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99