Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: new Kanotix version 06-2004

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    multiboot

    nishita your prob is prbably the fact its an initrd kernel.
    there are numberous ways around this but I find the most convenient is a small partition for /boot

    I let each distro do what it wants and overwrite the MBR then copy the /boot stuff (renaming as appopriate and not copying the symlinks like vmlinuz BUT not forgetting hidden files ...

    backup the installed lilo.conf then I find the previous lilo.conf and copy it to /etc and edit it to add the last distro and rerun. (you need to make sure you keep all the correct copies by kernel name)

    Once you do this you can use your apt cache to reinstall all the stuff from the other version of kanotix.... (I think /var/apt/cache) Im at work now so hard to be exact!

    then I copy the /etc/apt/sources.list
    and apt-get upsdate
    then run synaptic and see upgradable packages since you might have later version you might prefer.

    None of this touches your sacred BH4.... but it should give you everything you want...

    another trick is I have a large /shared partition I use as a quasi home.
    if you share your home across distros then .kde and other stuff gets messy thus I mount a partition as /home/user/shared for all the non specific stuff... (downloads/docs etc.)

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    see, Kansas, this is where it all gets messier than I can handle. Init scripts are exactly the reason I have SOOO MANY problems with live CDs. Though kanotix was the first to give me a little more choice in the matter. When I have tried to boot kanotix & knoppix or knoppix & knoppix for that matter I run into some awful mucky muck where lilo tries (and sometimes suceeds _ in booting one distro with another's kernel (is that as convoluted as it sounds? but that is what seems to happen and it ain't pretty). So I gave up. Figure I will always have my main o/s, a linux distro (likely always kanotix) dual booting with 98 on the other disk. And trying to keep a third choice of linux booted with a flippy. Getting close to just overwriting the extra linux' partition for storage. I think it is the live CD distro thing, but too much for me to digest to get working together.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx for the link! Where do I get the md5sum file for this file?

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    nishtya

    We can almost certainly help ....

    I kept getting in messes myself before I just decided to make a /boot

    I manually copy everything over from the /boot created by knoppix etc. and dont use the linked names like vmlinuz ... instead I make sure I use the full kernel name etc.

    Once you actually do this and find the files etc. it becomes a lot simpler... I get rid of the graphic boot screen and nice stuff like that in favour of the plainest lilo.conf I can

    I think I might have answered this for you on the kanotix board?
    if so we should prob just keep one living thread!

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Thanx for the link! Where do I get the md5sum file for this file?

    TIA,
    AJG
    It's md5sum: debc7802cfaa3fac047a3926dadb7455

    But you can get it here: http://kanotix.com

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    see, Kansas, this is where it all gets messier than I can handle. Init scripts are exactly the reason I have SOOO MANY problems with live CDs. Though kanotix was the first to give me a little more choice in the matter. When I have tried to boot kanotix & knoppix or knoppix & knoppix for that matter I run into some awful mucky muck where lilo tries (and sometimes suceeds _ in booting one distro with another's kernel (is that as convoluted as it sounds? but that is what seems to happen and it ain't pretty). So I gave up. Figure I will always have my main o/s, a linux distro (likely always kanotix) dual booting with 98 on the other disk. And trying to keep a third choice of linux booted with a flippy. Getting close to just overwriting the extra linux' partition for storage. I think it is the live CD distro thing, but too much for me to digest to get working together.
    You can easily boot your other installs with grub. Simply run update-grub. If you have specific entries you want to keep in /boot/grub/menu.lst then put them before the "### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" For example I want my 2.6.8-rc2 kernel to use the bootsplash so I need to append "splash=silent " and add an initrd entry to the boot line for that kernel. Running update-grub will wipe those out so I put that entry out of the way.

    Code:
    title		2.6.8-rc2 
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-rc2 root=/dev/hda1 ro splash=silent vga=791
    initrd /boot/initrd.splash 
    savedefault
    boot
    
    ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    
    <area used by update-grub>
    
    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    And it will not be changed when you run update-grub. You don't need lilo installed anywhere for any reason.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4

    GRUB problems with old bioses

    Just figured I'd mention that the GRUB on the Kanotix 05-2004 and 06-2004 (and GNUStep 0.5 which is based on Morphix) cdroms doesn't work on some old bioses. I've found two computers which, even if set to boot from cdrom, bypass the cdrom and boot from the hard disc with the above-mentioned distros (while Knoppix and Damn Small Linux boot fine). I was able to run Smart Boot Manager from floppy to boot to the above cdroms on one machine, but the other machine doesn't have a floppy drive -- so, anyone one knows of a boot manager that loads into memory from a cdrom, and can then boot a cdrom in the same drive (or another drive on a usb interface), please tell me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. KANOTIX BUG HUNTER 07/2004 is out now
    By mzilikazi in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 02:10 PM
  2. Problems with 2004-05-17 version and always with 2.6.x
    By hadar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 06:39 AM
  3. Kanotix Bug Hunter 3-2004
    By horo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 04:01 PM
  4. version 3.3 2004-02-09 : problem of directories ?
    By spade in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 12:54 AM
  5. Poor Man's Install Not Working in version 7-26 version
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$600.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW picture

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW

$399.99



Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams picture

Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams

$95.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99