Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 3.4 to hd no cdrom or fd in "user"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Posts
    21

    3.4 to hd no cdrom or fd in "user"

    I have installed Knoppix 3.4 (2.6.6 kernal) to my HD. When I log on as "root" my cdrom and floppy work great. To get it to work I had to change my fstab to: /dev/sr0/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec 0 0.
    When I log on as user "jesse" the cdrom and floppy no longer work. I get a error saying "/mnt/cdrom" & "mnt/floppy does not exist". When I look in the /mnt directory I see locks on the floppy and cdrom files. I have been trying to figure this out for day's. Any and all help would be much appreciated.
    TIA
    Jesse

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try changing user to users, then type groups as user to see what groups you belong to.
    You should have at least users, cdrom and floppy. You can use Kuser to add yourself to groups or as root: adduser jesse groupname. Then logout & back in for the changes to take effect.

    BTW, it's better to use su from a console to become root for certain tasks than to log in as root.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Posts
    21
    Hi Markus, I changed fstab to "users" but it did not work. both my floppy and cdrom will not work in "knoppix user". When in root everything works just fine. Using root, I have a great working desktop. For security reasons I would like to use "Knoppix user".
    My setup:
    P4 3.4ghz water cooled
    512mb ram
    3 each 40mb hard drives
    Canon i560 printer
    Epson 1650 scanner
    When I'm in "root" I use Xsane / Gimp 2.0 ..no problem...everything works
    great. My DSL line works in both modes. Evidently, Knoppix doesn't want the floppy or cdrom to work in user Knoppix 3.4.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, cdrom and floppy are in / and not under mnt/ in debian. Try still checking the fstab and add uid and gid if needed, here's mine for cdrom and floppy:
    /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto,uid=markus,gid=mar kus 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    If you're trying to access them from the desktop icons, they've at least in the past been faulty and you should delete the icons and make new ones. IIRC the desktop icons had them pointing to mnt and not / where they should be.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Posts
    21
    Marcus: thanks for the info. I will try the uid, and let you know.
    Jesse

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If it works with uid and gid set, it's just a permissions problem so you could try:
    Code:
    su
    cd /
    chgrp cdrom cdrom
    chgrp floppy floppy
    EDIT: You might do this as well after checking with dmesg|grep CD where your cdrom is attached to:
    Code:
    su
    cd /dev
    chgrp floppy fd0
    chgrp cdrom cdrom
    chgrp cdrom scd0 (check if it's right with dmesg|grep scd0
    chgrp cdrom sr0 (check with dmesg|grep sr0 , according to your first post it's sr0)

Similar Threads

  1. How to run a pgm *after* "knoppix" user is logged
    By markgilmore in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 05:42 AM
  2. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  3. Install linux from "LIVE" cdrom?
    By drglass67 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 04:36 AM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$70.00



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5

WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache

$70.00