Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Remote Desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4

    Remote Desktop

    Ok, so I'm able to connect remotely to my pc from my laptop using either remote desktop or vnc protocol when I boot normally and let the gui startup. But I can't for the life of me get it to work when I just boot up with the Knoppix 2 option so it won't load the gui. I know the network connection is good because I'm able to ftp or run lynx or what have you. But rdesktop or vncviewer always gives me the "Error: Can't open display" or "Error: Failed to open display". Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, anybody?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    anybody???

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I got sick of remote desktop and vnc. Why not use ssh or sftp or fish? Just start ssh on both machines (or at least on the host PC) at boot up and all is well!

    I place the commandline:

    Code:
    /etc/init.d/ssh start
    at the end of

    /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

    to accomplish this.

    Regards,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the advice, but I was hoping to just use vncviewer or rdesktop. Too much of a pain in the ass to do all that for my cousin who's just trying out the knoppix cd. Anyone know why I keep getting the "failed to open display" error. Anyway to correct this?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4

    ???

    anybody?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    The reason you're not getting responses is that rdesktop and vncviewer are not very easy to use compared to ssh. Do yourself a favor and try it!

    BTW, you don't need to use knoppix-installer to have ssh running. From a liveCD, click the KNOPPIX menu, click services and then click start ssh server. This allows another machine to login into the PC with the ssh server (shd) started via ssh. The remote user can use ssh and sftp from a shell or fish from Konqueror.

    Good Luck,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. remote desktop
    By nuklear in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 04:31 AM
  2. remote desktop
    By roc in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
  3. Remote desktop?
    By yonatan in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:42 PM
  4. Remote desktop connection
    By usb1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 02:23 AM
  5. Remote desktop
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 11:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$260.00



64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$280.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$119.99



Lot Of (8) Mixed RAM Spacer DDR4 2666 Micron 2400T Samsung 2133P Desktop Server picture

Lot Of (8) Mixed RAM Spacer DDR4 2666 Micron 2400T Samsung 2133P Desktop Server

$880.00



Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6

Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan

$165.00