-
Remote Desktop
Ok, so I'm able to connect remotely to my pc from my laptop using either remote desktop or vnc protocol when I boot normally and let the gui startup. But I can't for the life of me get it to work when I just boot up with the Knoppix 2 option so it won't load the gui. I know the network connection is good because I'm able to ftp or run lynx or what have you. But rdesktop or vncviewer always gives me the "Error: Can't open display" or "Error: Failed to open display". Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, anybody?
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
I got sick of remote desktop and vnc. Why not use ssh or sftp or fish? Just start ssh on both machines (or at least on the host PC) at boot up and all is well!
I place the commandline:
Code:
/etc/init.d/ssh start
at the end of
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
to accomplish this.
Regards,
AJG
-
Thanks for the advice, but I was hoping to just use vncviewer or rdesktop. Too much of a pain in the ass to do all that for my cousin who's just trying out the knoppix cd. Anyone know why I keep getting the "failed to open display" error. Anyway to correct this?
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
The reason you're not getting responses is that rdesktop and vncviewer are not very easy to use compared to ssh. Do yourself a favor and try it!
BTW, you don't need to use knoppix-installer to have ssh running. From a liveCD, click the KNOPPIX menu, click services and then click start ssh server. This allows another machine to login into the PC with the ssh server (shd) started via ssh. The remote user can use ssh and sftp from a shell or fish from Konqueror.
Good Luck,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By nuklear in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-03-2005, 04:31 AM
-
By roc in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
-
By yonatan in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:42 PM
-
By usb1 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 02:23 AM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mixed Lot Of Vintage Software And Drivers - Install Discs - CDs - 94 Pieces
$85.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00

Vintage HP Pavilion PC Case
$99.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vintage IBM ThinkPad T41 Laptop Pentium M 1.60GHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, Win XP
$129.99

3 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2007, Windows Vista Business Vintage
$60.00

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards
$57.59