anybody???
Ok, so I'm able to connect remotely to my pc from my laptop using either remote desktop or vnc protocol when I boot normally and let the gui startup. But I can't for the life of me get it to work when I just boot up with the Knoppix 2 option so it won't load the gui. I know the network connection is good because I'm able to ftp or run lynx or what have you. But rdesktop or vncviewer always gives me the "Error: Can't open display" or "Error: Failed to open display". Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, anybody?
anybody???
I got sick of remote desktop and vnc. Why not use ssh or sftp or fish? Just start ssh on both machines (or at least on the host PC) at boot up and all is well!
I place the commandline:
at the end ofCode:/etc/init.d/ssh start
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
to accomplish this.
Regards,
AJG
Thanks for the advice, but I was hoping to just use vncviewer or rdesktop. Too much of a pain in the ass to do all that for my cousin who's just trying out the knoppix cd. Anyone know why I keep getting the "failed to open display" error. Anyway to correct this?
anybody?
The reason you're not getting responses is that rdesktop and vncviewer are not very easy to use compared to ssh. Do yourself a favor and try it!
BTW, you don't need to use knoppix-installer to have ssh running. From a liveCD, click the KNOPPIX menu, click services and then click start ssh server. This allows another machine to login into the PC with the ssh server (shd) started via ssh. The remote user can use ssh and sftp from a shell or fish from Konqueror.
Good Luck,
AJG

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC
$115.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99