Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help - I cannot boot

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32

    Help - I cannot boot

    Hi. I was playing around with the installer tool, but I never went through with the install. All I did was change my small FAT 32 partition to EXT3. However, now, when I try to boot-up my computer into windows, it says there is not a bootable device. What should I do?

    I can see in Knoppix that all of my Windows stuff is there, and I can see that it is still NTFS. Why can't I boot into it? Can I fix this or do I need to reinstall windows?

    Thanks so much for the help, and I apologize for my novice questions.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33
    If you have your windows xp install cd, boot from it, select repair windows, at the c:\ type fixmbr

    this should restore the boot record and let you boot normally back into windows

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    Well, I kept playing around with the partiioner in Knoppix, and I got Windows to boot fine again. All is fine with the world again, but I'm scared to ever try setting up knoppix install again.

    I think my problem was that in the knoppix partioner thing, the "active" hard drive was set to the FAT32 partition that I was trying to install knoppix on. I changed the active partition to the NTFS windows partition and everything worked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$275.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET picture

Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET

$69.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4 picture

1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4

$59.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99