Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help - I cannot boot

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32

    Help - I cannot boot

    Hi. I was playing around with the installer tool, but I never went through with the install. All I did was change my small FAT 32 partition to EXT3. However, now, when I try to boot-up my computer into windows, it says there is not a bootable device. What should I do?

    I can see in Knoppix that all of my Windows stuff is there, and I can see that it is still NTFS. Why can't I boot into it? Can I fix this or do I need to reinstall windows?

    Thanks so much for the help, and I apologize for my novice questions.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33
    If you have your windows xp install cd, boot from it, select repair windows, at the c:\ type fixmbr

    this should restore the boot record and let you boot normally back into windows

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    Well, I kept playing around with the partiioner in Knoppix, and I got Windows to boot fine again. All is fine with the world again, but I'm scared to ever try setting up knoppix install again.

    I think my problem was that in the knoppix partioner thing, the "active" hard drive was set to the FAT32 partition that I was trying to install knoppix on. I changed the active partition to the NTFS windows partition and everything worked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3

$59.99



Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height picture

Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height

$899.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



LSI Oracle 9361-16i 16-Port 12Gb SAS PCIe RAID Controller 7332895 picture

LSI Oracle 9361-16i 16-Port 12Gb SAS PCIe RAID Controller 7332895

$77.97



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J picture

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J

$70.00