Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Black screen when booting CD

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32

    Black screen when booting CD

    Hi,

    I have never had a problem running the 3.4 CD on my notebook computer. However, I cannot get it to work on my cheapy desktop computer.

    The desktop doesn't have a graphics card, for it uses onboard graphics. Do you think that is why it does not work? When I boot the CD, I get the initial screen that says Knoppix 3.4, and then when I press "enter" I never see anything again. Of course, on my notebook, after I push enter I see it detecting all the hardware, and then eventually everything is ready. On my desktop, all I ever see is a black screen after I hit enter.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    93
    You might need to use the right <u>cheat code</u> or combination of cheat codes. At the boot prompt, try something like," knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600" without the quotation marks.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    Thanks Duckdodgers.

    By using vga=normal I was able to get to one more screen, but then nothing happens after that.

    The next screen says "Uncompressing linux...Ok, botting the kernel"

    and nothing ever happens after that. I also tried adding pci=biosirq and mem=512M, but nothing worked.

    Any ideas? Thanks so much.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    <deleted repeated post>

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Try to change the refreshrate of your screen. Something like "vsync=60" or so.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsar
    Try to change the refreshrate of your screen. Something like "vsync=60" or so.
    I think I'm past the screen issues now though because I can now get to the next screen, but nothing happens after the following message:
    "Uncompressing linux...Ok, botting the kernel"

    What could be the issue? Thanks so much.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.3: When booting the screen remains black...
    By Josh83 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
  2. Black screen??
    By mikeym9477 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
  3. Black Screen
    By vinraec in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM
  4. Booting - black screen
    By Cykke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:29 PM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested picture

Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested

$25.46



Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box  picture

Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box

$90.98



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67