Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Master boot record or Root partition?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124

    Master boot record or Root partition?

    Hello,

    I am installing knoppix into my HD. I have windows installed so I am going for a dual boot.
    Which one is best place to install the boot-loader (LILO), Master Boot Record or Root Partition?
    Thank You.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    93
    I chose to install to the master boot record. This will give you boot options at startup (Linux, Windows etc.). I am using two hard disk drives, WindowsXP on the primary master (primary drive 0) and Knoppix3.4 on the primary slave (primary drive 1).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    ok, thanks
    am I going to have the option too if I choose MBR? I don't have two HDs, only one, parted in 3 format type (ntfs, reiser linuxswap).
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    Installing lilo to the MBR seems to be the simplest way to go. The Knoppix installer should find your Windows install, and include it in a boot menu--but if it doesn't, it isn't too hard to add it. And if you had Windows 9x instead of the NT family, that would be your only option other than a separate bootloader like System Commander. Win 9x doesn't have its own bootloader like NT/2000/XP.

    If you don't install lilo to the MBR, you will have to add Linux to the NT bootloader--tricky, but do-able--or always boot your Linux install from floppy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    ok thanks,
    I have windows xp, I don't see any advantages on starting knoppix from a floppy, so I guess the only way to go is MBR.
    Thanks.
    PS. What about if I upgrade my system to windows xp from 9x? What is more convenient in this case cenario?
    Thanks again

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    When you upgrade your windows it will hose your MBR so you need to have a bootdisk for linux handy or just boot the Knoppix CD, chroot into your hdinstall and run lilo to get it back.
    I used to have ntldr managing windows and lilo but it's a PITA. Every time you change lilo.conf you have to run lilo, make a new bootsector and copy it to C:\ instead of just running lilo.
    Another drawback is that ntldr can't boot linux, so first you get the ntldr splash screen where you choose between windows and linux, and when (not if) you choose linux, you get the lilo splash screen where you choose linux again. Ok, so you can have really short timeouts but it's still a lot more convenient to just use lilo or grub.

Similar Threads

  1. HDD Install won´t boot (Grub in root partition:-( )
    By weirdjd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 09:40 AM
  2. Searching for boot record from CD/DVD
    By Noiseboy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 07:41 PM
  3. Trouble with Master Boot Record and Bootloader
    By frankie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 04:27 PM
  4. How would I repair the master boot record with knoppix?
    By Ripshaft in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:32 PM
  5. Changing boot record / sequence with 3.6
    By longshot in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Preppie (Atari 400 800) Adventure International /Russ Wetmore Game picture

Preppie (Atari 400 800) Adventure International /Russ Wetmore Game

$17.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs picture

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs

$149.97



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 400 Computer System  console with Power Supply TESTED and Working picture

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working

$150.00